Printing to Epson 9880 Sylus Pro WITHOUT the KPS box

amybest222

So- long story short due to the hurricane Sandy- our company suffered major water damage due to flooding. Fortunately Prinergy, the Server and the mac workstations were on top of desks and suffered no damage. The KPS boxes in front of the 4 epsons- not so lucky.
Ive downloaded the driver and created a printer "epson two" on the Araxi box similar to the way our Cannon Color Copier (also shot) printed " impostion mock ups" directly from Prinergy.
Ive plugged the Epson to a ethernet address and set this on the network settings within the computer. Now the problem is that when I use "loose page out put" to the Epson, I get binary postscript errors. Feet and feet of numbers! The same thing happened when we were setting up the Cannon Color Copier. Kodak has told me" you cant print to the Epson with out a box" I dont buy it.
I can and have allready installed the driver on my mac and could print directly to the printer via the IP but it dosnt cut and spits out like 6 feet of paper. Any workaround would be appreciated untill our new boxes arrive wihich could be a week. I do understant there is NO color manangement without the software.

You don't buy what Kodak tell you? OK. I don't think that Kodak are lying to you in order to sell you a few Dell workstations.

Working for a Kodak dealer that handles the Kodak proofing line of products, I would also tell you If you wish to proof direct out of Prinergy Connect, then at a minimum you need KPS for Matchprint Inkjet with the direct connectivity license (as Prinergy provides the RIP and colour management - direct KPS license simply handles media configs, calibrations, layouts, auto-rotation/fitting pages to the layout, colour bars, certified colour verification and spooling to the Epson with the Epson printer drivers installed on the KPS box). AFAIK you can't install KPS on the Prinergy Box for direct connection (only possible with Evo and then not really recommended). The optional KPS Open Connectivity license for KPS provides a RIP and colour management features as well, which are used if one does not have a workflow or if one wishes to proof white ink on the WT7900 using Prinergy (Prinergy direct connection license does not handle white ink).

If you did have the open connectivity license (hot folders, I.P. printers and RIP), then you may be able to install KPS on the Prinergy box and then point your proofing process template to proof to the hot folder, rather than "direct". I would not recommend this though.

What exact version of KPS are you using? If it is version 5.0 or later, you should be able to install it to "any" spare XP or Win 7 PC box that supports the printer drivers (unlike older versions there should be no need to ghost install to a specific box). Performance may not be great, however the later versions of KPS are a lot easier to install on varied hardware.

You can of course refine pages in Prinergy and then output them as loose page PDF files, then open the PDF files in Acrobat and print them with overprint simulation. Colour will not be accurate, however if you export out PDF/X files then the output intent should at least tame the colours in the PDF.

I am sure that there are solutions to be found in the short term until you are back up and running again fully.

EDIT: When you installed the Epson driver, did you also setup the network printer via the EpsonNet utility?

Good luck,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
We ran into a similar situation but I was able to set up the printer driver so I could print ganged up jobs but the problem was there is no PS RIP on our EPSON 9900 so the type was bit mapped. But I had offsite backups, bought a new hard drive and was running by end of the day.
If you like I would be willing to make Epson proofs for while you sort everything out. We were without power and unable to run the presses for a week so I feel your pain.
Feel free to reach out to me directly and I'll try to help in anyway I can.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back