Printing with white toner - any suggestions?

mukomio

Hi,

I am searching for a copier machine that can handle up to 300-360 GSM.

I need to be able to also print white on black cardstock.
My research has shown me that there are machines that are able to handle white ink like some of the OKI series which have 5 toner slots.
But its a bit expensive for what I need. I just print lines and numbers because I print technical drawings.

But what about this. Why not buy a single color copier machine and change the toner to white? And maybe have a second one that is a normal 4 color one?
That way I don't need to change the ink and am able to run my small production
Does anybody have experience about this? I cannot find a monocolor printer that can handle the weight and has white toner cartridge options.

Any links or ideas are very much appreciated.

Thank you all for you amazing help and wisdom.

Cheers
mukomio

I don't think you'll find anything cheaper than the OKI's that will print white.
The cartridges are all pre-manufactured for the machines, and the machines are configured to run the colors they're made for.

Ricoh now has an option on their 7000 and bigger machines for a white toner station but you won't like the price - as suggested OKI would still be the choice in a smaller printer. Not sure what weight they can handle.

mukomio,
Just finish a project looking into printing white on dark substrates, your choices are Indigo, iGen, Ricoh 7000 and what you have appeared to already test...the OKi. Given your reaction of price to the oki I would say the others are out of your range also. A key component is opacity/brightness of the white and the number of hits required for the desired effect in addition to the maintenance requirements to keep the white ink ready to run in the on-demand world of printed work today.

Unless this work or job is a huge revenue producer it may make sense to outsource the work till you can justify a dedicated expensive machine for white?

The Okis I have been researching are around $20.000 price.
I would be astounded if there is not a a more affordable option with an older model. Everything around $3000 would be a no brainer for me.
I am not going to open a professional printing service but would like to be able to make my models on a more professional basis.

The ghost white toner is a german supplier. I will have a look at the models and maybe can find something about them in german forums.
I will write an update if I can find anything.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back