Printograph Experience

kdw75

We have used Printograph for orders that didn't make sense to do in-house in the past and have always been happy with the quality, though sometimes not the speed. I ordered an envelope the other day for an out of state client and had it drop shipped. It was a simple return address with a PMS 109 bar. The customer called complaining. They had run the 109 bar in what appears to be PMS 123. Granted they run all of this in process, but 109 matches pretty well. We called and they re-iterated that they do not color match, they run pleasing color. We have gotten this job in the past and they always did a great job. It surprises me that with their state of the art Speedmaster presses, they would have such variances.

I have no experience with Printograph. I've used 4Over in the past and primarily use Sina. 'Pleasing colour' is the pleasing catch phrase. However I believe both these companies (Sina for sure) updated calibration 3 or 4 years ago for their offset machines. Since that time I've had very little issue with their colour output.
You mention you ordered envelopes. Does Printograph convert envelopes from sheets? If not, it's possible the envelope was run digital. Therein could be the problem. It was likely digital if it was a short run.
Good marks to 4Over here. They will print envelopes offset (on nice 70lb offset) & convert them. On the other hand if I was to send envelopes to Sina they would be printed digital and colour would be a bit of a crap shoot - it would be 'pleasing colour'. Note that if you were to order a small run from 4Over and have them run offset if will be more expensive. You're given a choice, offset or digital.

I have no experience with Printograph. I've used 4Over in the past and primarily use Sina. 'Pleasing colour' is the pleasing catch phrase. However I believe both these companies (Sina for sure) updated calibration 3 or 4 years ago for their offset machines. Since that time I've had very little issue with their colour output.
You mention you ordered envelopes. Does Printograph convert envelopes from sheets? If not, it's possible the envelope was run digital. Therein could be the problem. It was likely digital if it was a short run.
Good marks to 4Over here. They will print envelopes offset (on nice 70lb offset) & convert them. On the other hand if I was to send envelopes to Sina they would be printed digital and colour would be a bit of a crap shoot - it would be 'pleasing colour'. Note that if you were to order a small run from 4Over and have them run offset if will be more expensive. You're given a choice, offset or digital.
They run them flat and then convert them.

I previously worked for ASAP Printing for 11 years which was purchased by 4Over in 2015. We were a GRACoL G7 Master Printer. While the presses are maintained, fresh blankets and rollers are regularly installed there are always variations from press to press and from run to run. Inline densitometry is widely used and checked around every hundred sheets or so. That said, there will always be variations when running high speed, high volume jobs day in and day out. This coupled with the fact that the values in your files are actually evaluated and altered with software to allow for more consistency means that pleasing color is actually going to be the best that can be obtained in a gang-run situation. Everyone wants the least expensive product with the highest tolerances they can achieve but if you must truly have something match color it should be run as a standalone project where you have complete control over the printing processes used, equipment and with attention to the output with the needs of the customer in mind. Of course, it will cost more. If you are using Printograph or 4over it is all about the pricing. You get what you pay for.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back