Probably an unusual question

bronzeo

Is there some kind of software process that allows you to profile a target size and pixel count of a group of photos of different size and proportion...... an example for why I ask.... I get a group of digital photos from a dive group that have taken various shots over the season. They would like me to compose a large poster containing about 40 of their choice shots. The best finish size would need to be about 180 dpi at approximately 5x7 inches for each photo just as an example. At this point I am having to run each photo through the editor and all the motions to achieve this. Their are many applications where this function could be used, but something automatically converts large pictures in Facebook and other forums to fit their parameters.

I am thinking of offering posters of vacation, events, memorials, etc for people that like that sort of thing. They are fairly easy to compose after the sizing is done....... The first one that I did, I didn't resize anything, and the file size was over 100 MB. I only did that for a test, and it worked. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

You could record an action Photoshop and batch run it on an entire folder.

If your question is about making a poster in a quick way with 40 pictures, I would do it like this:
1. Make separate pictures in final size for poster by batch conversion
2. Make an empty poster in Photoshop in full final size
3. Make a grid with guidelines; grid would be in size of each separate picture
4. Put the photos in the grid - they would align easily and you will pretty fast make your poster.

I can try the batch conversions, as I have found several called robot photo resizers. There are actually quite a few out there which I have found now...... I think I want the ability to change the poster on software so I don't want to flatten it into one image, and I don't think for what I am doing I will want the grid separations. Europe 2011 collag small .jpg

I can try the batch conversions, as I have found several called robot photo resizers. There are actually quite a few out there which I have found now...... I think I want the ability to change the poster on software so I don't want to flatten it into one image, and I don't think for what I am doing I will want the grid separations. View attachment 3446 This is a sample of what I'm trying to do and without a huge file size. It will be large enough anyway. If this was a European tour that several couples were on together, they might all like to see their selves in a personalized version. Thus wanting to leave the poster unflattened. Thanks for the help all. Jack

I can try the batch conversions, as I have found several called robot photo resizers. There are actually quite a few out there which I have found now...... I think I want the ability to change the poster on software so I don't want to flatten it into one image, and I don't think for what I am doing I will want the grid separations. View attachment 3446 This is a sample of what I'm trying to do and without a huge file size. It will be large enough anyway. If this was a European tour that several couples were on together, they might all like to see their selves in a personalized version. Thus wanting to leave the poster unflattened. Thanks for the help all. Jack

Photoshop action can be recorded to make a single conversion, then let it roll on an entire folder.
Then place a photo 1 by 1 on a single big empty space. Every bitmap that you import will be a separate layer and you can move each image separately, put one picture above or below other images, even make effect on each image separately.
I do not know of any software that would do this automatically.

Photoshop action can be recorded to make a single conversion, then let it roll on an entire folder.

I don't quite follow this? I can set the size parameters for a single photo and then copy that command to the rest of a group of photos as they are imported? i.e..... set the max. size to 500x700 and that is the largest that the photo would be imported? It might end up 450x700 but max out with the command? The sample that I uploaded, I just flattened and sized down as one image, but the amount of memory that it was taking up in photoshop was near 100 Meg. Way too much, and too much work to size individually.

Last edited:
I don't quite follow this? I can set the size parameters for a single photo and then copy that command to the rest of a group of photos as they are imported? i.e..... set the max. size to 500x700 and that is the largest that the photo would be imported? It might end up 450x700 but max out with the command? The sample that I uploaded, I just flattened and sized down as one image, but the amount of memory that it was taking up in photoshop was near 100 Meg. Way too much, and too much work to size individually.

Yes, you can record SET of commands, not just single one. Then run that recorded set of commands on an entire FOLDER. This means that Photoshop will open a single picture, do a given set of commands (for example: resize to specified dimension) and save on different location a new bitmap. Then it will take next file in folder and repeat all until it performs given task on all files in folder.
Catch is that you would have to first make two resize actions (one for portrait pictures and one for landscape pictures) and make two folders (one folder will contain portrait pictures and one that will contain landscape pictures). Then run a batch resize for landscape pictures on landscape folder and another batch resize for portrait pictures on portrait folder. While converting, you just sit back and enjoy whats going on.
Unfortunately, final poster has to be done manually. Only it will be made a lot faster since you work with significantly smaller images.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back