processless violet plates

I know Fuji is working on them as well. What I've heard is that they will be available in Europe first. Probably not here for another year. Not sure why, but that's what I heard...

Fujifilm Pro-V

Fujifilm Pro-V

Fuji are about to go live in the UK (probably elsewhere too) with the Pro-V, their chemistry-free equivalent to the very successful LP-NV polymer plate.

It has the same sensitivity as LP-NV so will work with existing CTP units, and the image quality, run length and tonal range is on a par with LP-NV (i.e 1-99% @ 200lpi; 150-200k unbaked).

FUJIFILM UK - Graphic Systems

As a long standing LP-NV user I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Agfa showed a chemistry-free visible-light plate at IPEX some years back but nothing seems to have come of it. I heard they weren't achieving the results with it (only 2-98% etc). They seem to be throwing all their efforts into Azura, their chemistry-free thermal plate.

Last edited:
rbailleu, I hear the same thing. Many vendors are already on the prowl trying to ear in sales of new violet CtP imagesetters in advance of the impending technology. From the bits and pieces I hear Agfa is having some problems ramping it up into reliable production.

As someone who has used toner polyester, chemical-laser poly, camera poly, film to violet, direct to violet, and direct to thermal with various vendors plates, chemicals, films (HDM/Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and some of the other less known brands) I really don't see why the vendors are not focussed more on improving the thermal impression length rather than on violet technology.

Are we talking True Processless or Chem Free Processing?
Agfa will be rolling out a Chem- Free plate in the US. currently in Europe but supposibly working well.
We looked into the Process less plate and deemed it not usable in our daily newspaper.
Not being able to see image and the short shelf life of plate after imaging were the biggest drawbacks to us.
We were looking for a GREEN solution and think we have found one in the Agfa N92 V Chem -Free Plate.
Please note: This plate is not yet in production in the US. only in Europe for now.

Are we talking True Processless or Chem Free Processing?
[SNIP]We were looking for a GREEN solution and think we have found one in the Agfa N92 V Chem -Free Plate.

Not to put too fine a point on it, however, it would help to keep issues clear if posters would use the same descriptions for plate technologies that their vendors use. It would certainly help reduce the confusion of terms.
Agfa refers to the :N92-V in their literature as:
"Fast Exposure and Proven Plate Processing
:N92-V combines fast, accurate and wide-latitude plate exposure with simple processing and robustness. :N92-V is designed for the proven photopolymer plate processors that deliver reliability to printers around the world.
The plate is processed in the standard way: pre-heat (image amplification) is followed by overcoat wash-off. Subsequently, the image is developed and the plate is washed and gummed."

They do not refer to it as "chem-free"

(my text emphasis in bold)

best, J

Like Colin, a happy LP-NV(x) user 2+ years now. Am also looking forward to by-passing the alkaline dev bath and its 5-6 weekly major maintenances.
From what I can gather, there is still an "issue" with converting the online processors over...but they'll do that successfully, I guess.

As far as I know there are 2 almost process free plates out there, Fuji Ecomax and Kodak Thermal Direct. All others still require a processor. I have tried both and have been successful in getting them both to work. In my honest opinion Kodak was the easiest to work with on press, but the speed you have to burn those plates at will bring any short run printer to a halt. Fuji Ecomax is the way to go unless you are a long run printer.

As far as I know they go through the preheat pva is washed off into a bath of distilled water substance taht only needs to be changed every few months and then washed and gummed. This is the Fuji LPNV chem free plate. Image is visible just like a normal LP NV plate not like a Thermal process free plate where the image is just visible. Can't wait as these are very good plates, I don't see waht the problem is people seem to have with violet systems ( quality etc) they print well and we do alot of demanding work with them no problem.

AjR

Violet Setters

Violet Setters

Speaking as a seller of used setters.
I'm waiting for a Violet plate to give a new lease of life for The Heidelberg Prosetter family.

I come up against printers who'd prefer processless because of the perceived reduction in maintenance time of a processor.

Does anyone know which upcoming plate might best suit these Setters?

In the Prosetter family there are two version of Laser, one 5mw and the other 30mw.
The 30mw will expose Lap V, Does anyone know if the 5mw will expose the new plates due to be annouced / available soon?

suttonae

Agfa is in process of qualifying our chem-free violet plates with a variety of engine manufacurers.
Until it has been formally released, we can only speak in generalities, as each engine's performance
varies - regardless of raw laser power.

WRT 5mW/30mW - You might have your laser/plate pairings backwards.

Lap-V is super sensitive/high speed. As such - a 5 mW violet laser is sufficient.
However, photopolymer plates are still "fast" - but in a different category. Depending
on the plate and engine, 30mW lasers can image photopolymer, but the 60mW lasers
which came out soon after the 30mW, have much more power latitude. Given ND
filters or apertures, 30 & 60 mW lasers can be stepped-down to image Lap-V.

Agfa's chem-free violet is initially specified at 50µJ/cm2 - which is similar to our
traditional N91V violet photopolymer speed. Basically - as Collin said, if your device
is qualified to image N91V, then most probably it will have enough energy for Agfa's
chem-free violet.

This information is available at:

AGFA.com - Chemistry-free plates

Regards,

Lap-v

Lap-v

Good to read you Steve...it's been a while!

It's good to see LAP-V is alive and well, after seeing it at a very tightly controlled demo at IPEX a few years back it appeared to die a death. I'd heard Agfa were struggling with it in terms of stability and that they could only achieve 2-98%.

What is the plan for LAP-V - is it aimed at the commercial market rather than newspapers?

Last edited:
Hi Colin:

I believe we're confusing product names.

Lap-V is our violet version of LithoStar - our silver-based plate -
launched as violet at Drupa 2000. It started the violet revolution.

N92 VCF is our chem-free violet photopolymer plate aimed at our
large installed base of newspaper photopolymer installations.
It is being rolled out now in controlled sales. You saw this at Ipex.

It's commercial application - Azura -V - will be rolled out once
we complete our efforts with the roll-out of N92 VCF. With Agfa,
we have a huge install base of photopolymer in the newspaper
market, and less so with commercial, as that's where our customers
often chose silver over photopolymer. This helps guide our priorities.

Regards,

Thanks for clearing the coinfusion up. It makes more sense now.

is Azura-V silver or polymer based, and what's the post imaging process? And what's the intended release date?

As my lack of knowledge suggests it's been very quiet over here on that front, is it intended to roll the plate out worldwide in one go or in one particular area to start?

Colin:

Azura-V is similar technology to N92 VCF, and has a similar post imaging clean-out.
Check with your local Agfa representative for roll-out plans in your locale. Yet, our
first focus is thorough implementation of N92 VCF before we shift efforts to Azura-V.

Regards,

As far as I know there are 2 almost process free plates out there, Fuji Ecomax and Kodak Thermal Direct. All others still require a processor. I have tried both and have been successful in getting them both to work. In my honest opinion Kodak was the easiest to work with on press, but the speed you have to burn those plates at will bring any short run printer to a halt. Fuji Ecomax is the way to go unless you are a long run printer.

As far as I know both Kodak TD and Fuji Ecomaxx/ProT are not processless and requires processor. In fact this processor is called "printing press" in that CtP systems ;) or in other way printing press is used as processor. This is a reason to call that kind of plates not processless but DoP (developed on press).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back