Production Scheduling Procedure

I need to get one of these production boards up and running ASAP for our company (in the UK) could somebody be so kind to upload/email a picture of their board, so I can get an idea of how it should look.

Do you have the days of the week across the top (if so, how many weeks?) and the different depts down the left hand side?

Would really appreciate ANY feedback.

Thanks guys.

S.

Just wanted to bump this thread guys, as I need to report back to my directors with an idea of how the board would look/work.

Thanks in advance!

S.

Last edited:
Every board will be different based on the companies needs and expectations. One size does not fit all.

Every board will be different based on the companies needs and expectations. One size does not fit all.

I do appreciate that, just wanted a general idea of the basic layout of people's production board.

ie: Do you have the days of the week down the left side and the depts across the top etc etc..

We have the industry's best Production Scheduling Application, in fact we have two different versions. We cannot simply provide screen shots without learning a little more about your company. I will be happy to provide an online demonstration.
Faisal Bhombal
Primac Systems
972.661-9336 x324

possible free solution

possible free solution

Hello guys,
I'm was in printing for 8 years but not anymore. Anyways I ran across this app and immediately thought it would work great as a job scheduling board for printshops.

https://trello.com/

Watch the video to see what I mean.

Please comment with your thoughts

PS. I am in no way affiliated with this company, just wanted to share something I though was interesting.

we use scheduler every day and i do not think, it can get any better. It has worked for me so far and i guess i will keep on using it, in the future as well.

We wrote our own system using excel for a visual schedule board and then use access to print out daily reports . . . .

We use a system we designed ourselves. It's web based enabling us to access it anywhere in the world. It tells us when the ink, plates and paper are ready then we can schedule the job accordingly. Once the schedule is made I export it to a spread sheet and email it to the entire company. During production pressmen use the web based system as their schedule. Pressmen input their data as they run, once the job is complete the system releases the job to the next process, stahl folder, straight knife etc. Our system follows the job through the plant, through shipping, and through billing. The system refreshes every 15 minutes allowing the data to be available in real time, all the time. Account managers can log in and see if their jobs made the morning truck, I can log in any time and see where the job is in our flow, who ran it etc. If we run into problems the operators document them with the job, I can see those too. If we have down time for whatever reason that is recorded also.

Everything is available in a report that I can access at any time. I can see our efficiencies, whether we are ahead or behind and if we actually made money on the job.

It took us 15 years to get this point and we are constantly updating our system.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi:
I saw this thread and I want to ask if you guys any good and affordable Online or PC base Schedule Software for a small print shop. I found this site: printwatchdog.com, but it looks like they are not updating it anymore.

I tried the demo version and it meet our requirements. Any of you are aware of anything similar?

Thank you.

JRT

We tend to use scheduler exclusively. Though , it is imperative to know where jobs are without having to tour the whole shop to find things. Its not like magic. It does take its own time. We usually have all sorts of tracker issues when one does that.

Wanted to get some ideas on this, seeing what everyone is using to schedule the production in the whole plant? based on a job basis? per machine basis? etc

Scheduling on a per machine basis to maximize the machines capabilities. CSR's keep track of what is going on by job basis.

Guys I have found this info on this forum, Trello.com, someone actually sucgested it, awesome thing. 5 min to set up, now I have 2x 42 inch TV side by side, driven by dual hdmi video card showing all orders, new/wait for design/wait for approval/ready for production/ in prod. Inhouse/in prod. Outsourced/ ready. More than that, it is in every pworkstation and every smartphone. .. I will post a picture. Looks iimpressive to the customers and easy to use.

interested to see the pics also... since gordo mentioned it in one of his threads i've been wanting to try it out, but I want to see how you put it in practice UnlimitedBT

Here you go guys. The PC is actually in the ceiling, I run it with wireless keyboard/mouse, I used an USB extension to plug in a receiver and kind threw it over the ceiling closer to the counter to ensure stable transmission so basically transmitter is over my head. It cost me 2x $219 for 2 39/40 inch TV at best buy, 2x $25 for wall mount brackets @ Amazon, a BS dual core dell Dell Optiplex 755 slim case PC, $85 @ ebay, $100 for a video card that has 2 HDMI outputs from Amazon, $ 20 for 2 HDMI cables, $30 for wireless keyboard/mouse from Staples. A little effort.
Once we created a main account at trello, I had every employee create one of their own and invited them all in to this board, not only this exists on 2 bigsceens, everyone can add/change/update status from their workstation, also I can do this from Samsung Galaxy S4, so where ever I am, I can take an order, punch it in with all the details from what I have just discussed with the customer, add a note and take a picture of, lets say a customer's BC and attach it to the order! Everything being added/updated instantly, it keeps a track who did that so if Julia added a note after talking to the client, it will say "Note posted by Julia"

Attachments

• IMG_4235.JPG
    IMG_4235.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    326.9 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4237.JPG
    IMG_4237.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Now I will go and ask Trello for commission for running an ad campaign for them :)
Let me know if you like it guys and if you have any thoughts to make it better.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back