Proofing Folded Pieces

WI-Flexo

Looking for input on how you proof folded pieces you produce. We do not produce folded items in house but do farm out some folded jobs. A printer we used to work with could proof the job with a partial folded view and the name of the fold if applicable (Z-fold, Tri-Fold, etc.). This gives the customer a better handle on the final product. One of our new printers apparently does not have the ability to proof with the folded view. Trying to work with them to overcome this. Would appreciate any input or advise on what industry expectations are for this.

Thanks!

We fold everything in-house, because, we have to test the first 2 to 3 to make sure it fits in the window properly, etc. Internally, when the job jacket is set up, not only is the fold type specified, but, the job jacket contains a hand-folded piece as a sample of what it should look like when it's done. Perhaps, when you outsouce the fold, along with the outsouce instructions, you should include an actual hand-folded sample. A picture is worth a thousand words....

MailGuru- That makes complete sense and we also supply a mockup of the folding we want to the printer. They just have no way to proof it back to us to verify the folds. We also then don't have this view to send to our customer. Its the proofing back to the final customer that is the question. How do you proof to your customer so they understand the fold directions and content flow? Thanks for the help!

Hmmm, I see. Guess I msunderstood the question.

What if they just took a couple of pictures of the folds with their smart-phone, and, sent it over attached to an email? (Geeze, I'm an old dinosaur and a techie holdout. I still believe that cell phones need to be used to simply make or receive a phone call -- never thought I'd offer a solution like that) LOL :)

Funny because thats basically the solution we came up with for the time being! Hey, it gets the customer what they need. Im still hoping there is possibly a software solution for proofing folded pieces out there somewhere. I'm thinking something like Esko studio for folds. Thanks again!

I usually put a dashed or dotted line in the artwork where the fold goes, in a colour that will stand out (like magenta) so the client can't miss it. Once the PDF proof is approved, I remove the fold line and away we go.

Keith

We go old school with the Hp 6200 spinet system for double-sided imposition proofing and layouts. Most times when the file from the customer comes in the folds are not right as you may know. So you need to be able to dissect the file and add to a panel or make the panels smaller. And when you do a piece with capacity folds as well. You need to show the customer why the file they sent you will not work. So with all of our jobs with folds or capacity folds we will have a Double-Sided spinet proof cut down with folds with all the glue tabs just the way it will look when printed. Or you can go with the 3D Virtual Proofing system software after you rebuild the file.

All good ideas! Short of a Virtual proofing system it seems that physical mockups are probably the way to go to avoid any confusion. Thanks!

I think the XMF FUJI workflow has an animated view - I don't know if it can be exported and sent towny and all participants?

Esko has a solution but if you ask me it is overpriced and not that good. IC3D offered by CGS might be a good fit possibly. Otherwise you could look at purchasing 3D modeling software like Cinema 3D or Blender to build your own 3D models and then the possibilities are endless and you can build high quality 3D models.

CSS Group's has recently added to DataManager a Web interface for Flat/Folding Planner that overlays the PDF with the mechanical data that is either driven using data coming from an MIS system or leverages internal meta data with JDF fold information that is overlaid on top of the PDF file. Initially it is centered in the PDF Trim Box with the ability to alignment the mechanical as required on top of the PDF file. It then can write the mechanical information on layers of the PDF, corner/fold marks, and measurements. The folded panels can then be seen in acrobat as to where they strike the PDF file, and if any PDF panel adjustments are needed they can be performed to match the mechanical which gives them guides to visualize where panel edges fall. Extremely useful in catching PDF issues in general, as well as on the mechanical side.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back