Proofing on toner based machines

Gianni_S

Hi Folks,
I was thinking about printing contract proofing on a toner machine?
I've heard several opinions from sales managers but all the answers were very "foggy".
No one tell me a clear "YES" or show me it.
What's your experience about that?
Thanks a lot!

Depends on how close your "contract proof" has to be . . . if its "just gotta be close" you could probably get away with it . . . the best way to tell is to run some toner based "proofs" and compare them with your current "contract" proof

I agree with dabob. Different machines use different kinds of toners, and that can also affect the outcome. You may just have to run some tests and see how closely your machine can do it.

No one tell me a clear "YES" or show me it.

That's because it isn't out there.

You could try, and you might even get away with it. But compared to inkjet, toner-based machines are known to be very unstable. For that reason first off, you'd have to develop some kind of calibration/profiling routine to compensate for that.

Add in also that compared to inkjet, most toner-based machines are not particularly large gamut, and none of them have the inking controls that inkjets have to change gamut at all. So whatever gamut you get on a given media, that's it. And while most toner-based machines that I've seen will pretty much cover SWOP and Gracol, pretty much isn't much good for proofing. And of course if the machines you're going to be proofing are inkjets, then you haven't got a prayer.

Myself, I wouldn't even think about attempting such a thing.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Hi all,
first thanks for your kind replies and advices. The doubt was to achieve Fogra Standards with a toner machine (Versant 80).
Reading your opinions I understand that you all agree on the fact between inkjet and toner based, the best way to have a certified contract proof it's always on a inkjet printer.
That's very important because it is the first clear answer that I have.
It also confirm my doubts on toner based machines.
Thanks a lot to all!!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back