PS or PDF from Quark 5

When you are in the 'Print Window' within QuarkXPress. Select the 'Printer...' button, then select a printer from the drop down, now change the destination from 'Printer' to 'File'.

It's better to use the Export menu option, because the Print option omits some of the page boxes. It's better to use PS, because Quark's PDF Converter is in my experience less robust than Distiller.

Under Preferences>PDF, choose "Create PostScript for Later Distilling".

Now, use File>Export>Layout as PDF... (the menu option doesn't change with the Preference setting) to create a PS file for prepress.

*EDIT* This is how I do it in the newer versions of Quark. I don't know if this advice applies to Quark 5; in my Q5 days I was using the Print dialog as pcmodem recommends.

Quark needs to use postscript as an interim format to create a PDF (I believe this is still the same with v9, but have only used up to v8.5).

Quark 4 and 5 both have Export to PDF commands but you have to have Acrobat Distiller installed and set Quark's Preferences so that it knows where Distiller is installed, Quark would background generate postscript and pass this through Distiller (at the Distiller Settings you last used) to create a PDF and this would all have to happen under OS9 or Classic. I can't remember with Classic but pre OSX you would have to install and set up a Postscript Printer in the Chooser, LaserWriter8.3.4 or AdobePS8.8.0 were favourites.
Quark5 and Distiller 5 would work pretty nicely under OS9, again I'm fuzzy on Distiller 3 and 4 its such a long time ago but I know I had both Q4.11 and Q5.01 with Distiller4.0.5 running on OS9.0.4, I just can't remember what did and didn't work.
Later versions of Quark internally use JAWS to Export to PDF but there is still the postscript interim stage.
Re the advantages of PDF Trim box info getting in the pdf, this only used to happen because Distiller would recognize the pattern of earlier quarks crop marks, earlier versions of Distiller would need a start-up plug-in from someone like Creo to do this.

You'll make me to reinstall an old 4 package on an old workstation, just for checking (on Win98 or 2000). Don't remeber if v.4 has this command, I've allways used the Print command to create a ps file. Distiller had that "hot" folder for automatically distilling.

With Quark4 Export to PDF... command was under Utilities.
Distiller Selection was under Quark's General Preferences rather than it's PDF Preferences.
Its quite sad enough me typing this stuff without you re-installing :)

As a matter of fact, I do need v.4 now for one of my clients, so there's no problem with reinstalling. Anyway, thank you a lot.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back