QM-46-2 control panel goes blank

For no apparent reason while in the print mode the press simply stops and the lights on the control panel just go blank. I then have to turn the press off and on to bring back all the panel lights.... then I have to remove the plate and place it back on the press because the press. This problem is intermittent so it has been hard to pinpoint. There is a special function #23 that allows the press "think" that it is in the print mode when in fact it isn't............ while using this special function 23 all goes well EXCEPT there is no image being transferred to the sheet. The techs over at Heidelberg have never been able to resolve or identify the source of this problem.....please help.

Re: QM-46-2 control panel goes blank

We had the same problem on a new 46-2. Check all connections to the control panel board. If these are all tight, take a look at the actual board for the control panel and make sure nothing is damaged (cracked or punctured). We had a small crack in our board and it took us 6 months to find it.

Jack - Whilst I don't think this is the solution to your problem this may just be useful. We had a similar problem on one of our Quickmasters which was solved by switching the machine off and pressing in the three reset buttons shown on the attached picture. Apparently they are heat sensors and can trip out.

This happened to a QM I had years ago.
From what I recall it was a board problem, they needed to replace the main cpu, I think.
I know that this is no real help, but that is where I would suggest that you direct your attentions.

We had the same problem and spent a lot of money replacing boards, which blew again anyway. After a year of troubleshooting we tracked it down to the 12V lamp above the feeder of the press. The plastic housing had cracked and the bulb was loose creating the short-circuit. We replaced it with newer style 24V fluorescent bulb, with an upgrade kit through Heidelberg and everything has been normal since then. I don't know which year they switched but ours was installed in 1997.

I will try all your suggestions and "hope" one of them works. In the meantime I am still open to "NEW" suggestions.

Did you have any luck? Mine has started doing the same thing.

Or has any one got any new ideas?

Thanks

I don't know if this is relevant but if I wait a while the compressor then kicks in for a while and then everything returns to normal.

I am confused as the press can run and then literally lock up within a split second of the last sheet being delivered, (no gentle slow down) or it can lock up as soon as the plate clamp shuts upon loading a plate.

Any ideas at all would be great as I'm struggling till I can call an Engineer.

After switching off the power supply to the press (NOT just the power switch - unplug it or switch off the breaker) open up the electrical cabinet and check the dozen or so connectors (yellow with red caps) on SVK2 board. Make sure they are fully seated. In particular, connector labelled X-7. Unplug X-7 and carefully pry off the red cap. Using a small instrument (screwdriver, etc.) push the blue wires into the metal 'fork' to make better contact. If this does not fix the problem you may need to have a wiring modification done by a technician from Heidelberg.

X-7

X-7

That worked for me. All this time I thought it was a heat problem. Intermitent problems always are the worst. Thank you. I didn't have to pry of the cap- I just reseated it. I can see how they could vibrate loose: they come of easy.

Last edited:
x-7

x-7

We had to install a circulation fan in the cabinet door to keep the x-7 plug cool enough that it would not lose connection. It has worked great. The best $30 I've spent. Our press was constantly stopping during runs when it would get above 75 degrees in the room. A little A/C and fan, problem solved.

It is the X7 plug...chances are it is burnt, be careful taking it out or it may pull the pin loose from the board. Intermountain press has a Mod for this.

Hi sir Good Day
Hope you are well
After i saw his problem, I am going to Point out.
Test Very Strong: The power supply , this the heart in Any Machine
whatever is Called. In the case for QM46 Heidelberg, you must test with a Good DMM like Fluke
the power supply : +5 +24Vdc. see the Tolerance must be +-2%,otherwise is Faulty.
Test the input of Main Transformer, and adjust TAP if it necessary the Tolerance must be in +-10%.
When the lack of power supply is done, Many problem will be occur. The display has the 2 voltages
has I did mentioned. This problem occur since the some components in the board SVK5, reheating and put
in Short Circuit, some elements, like transistors, or triac, or Bridge Rectifier, or Resistors or Capacitors, and Show
the problem that you Mention goes panel blank.
Use your Schematic Diagrams from his machine.
Will be a Good idea, that you call some electronic Tech, and test the Board, for to see any Problem with components
and maybe Reheat the Board or some others Faulty: Dry Solder, Or Colder, or Corroded Solder.
Other reason contacts with Oxide like Connectors, or loose. Tight it, and clean it, with some Special Spray for Electronic System, in any Electronic Store like Radio Schack or other.
As Electronic+Electrical engineer BSSE- P.E by over 45 years with Experienced in Troubleshooting Printing Machines(Now Retired) Trained by Heidelberg, Polar and more companies in Germany and many other countries, I did see a LOT of problems like mentioned you right Now.
Let me know if I can help you more Deeply.
[email protected]
WhatsApp:+50588611441

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back