QMDI computer upgrade

camasprinter

We have a good running QMDI 46 that has Windows 2000 Server running Delta 6.5 and it is lately running real slow when it sends jobs to the press. Who or how can I get an upgrade to that without spending an arm and my good leg.
Any references would be appreciated

Good luck with your search. This equipment is pretty dated. Look for parts on the Internet for old machines that are being sold for parts. If your GUI is slow at the press, try deleting any old saved ink profiles that have been stored in the press memory. You might be surprised what can happen when it gets de-cluttered.

So, I'm not fully up to speed on the press's onboard "computer" or the one we use to send files to it, which is the GUI?
Do we do a declutter at the press or on the computer that the Delta program is located?

Hi camasprinter,
We sell Harlequin RIPs for the DI presses that are compatible with the latest design applications and allow you to drive the DI from a new computer. We are familiar with the setup and calibration of the DI and can assist with the installation remotely using TeamViewer and offer preconfigured RIP computer systems. You can find out more about our DI RIP-Kits on the following pages:
http://rti-rips.com/DIPrintPressRIPKits.html
http://rti-rips.com/HeidelbergDIRIPKit.html

If you are interested in discussing your options please let us know. We would certainly like to earn your business and look forward to talking with you.
Thank you,
RTI Sales and Support
rti-rips.com

The GUI is the Graphic Unit Interface, is the monitor that operator uses at the press itself. You select various menus such as Job Selection Imaging, Inking etc via the Trackball (mouse). Sometimes the ability to move from menu to menu on the screen can be slow. This is why I say deleting ink profiles and stored jobs can speed up the operation of the GUI. You have the capability to image from the press computer itself, if you download the jobs from the RIP to the press computer. Normally you would image jobs directly from the RIP. The Rip is usually stationed in the pre-press department. If you have a screen saver on the RIP, get rid of it. It can slow down the transfer of Data from the RIP to the press. (Trust me I saw it happen) Also early DI presses and DI Plus models had 486 computers and later it was Pentiums. If you started with a Pentium and it failed under warrant,y they would replace it with whatever was available ie. it could have been another 486. I was once involved with installation that used a Scitex RIP. However it could not send an ink profile to the press, The operator had to use the Ink Calculation function that was on the Inking Gui menu. Hope some of this information is of some help.

Check the CPU fan is running on the DI computer - on my older DI Pro the fan was not. I believe the unit then goes into a safety mode at much lower speed to keep from melting the CPU.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back