Quark 7.5 with Mac OS X 10.6.4

prepressguru

Hi All

Updated 1 Mac to 10.6.4 seems ok but Quark 7.5 doesn't work so well. I know 10.6 is not supported by Quark and I am not willing to upgrade to Quark 8.x as there is no demand for it.

Has anyone successfully been running Quark 7 with 10.6? So far it was working ok. But flakes out either just after printing or random quits.

Thanks

p

Here are some of our issues and our solutions:

1. Never allow Adobe software open at the same time as Quark with Leopard. When we do that, Leopard iMacs freeze and act strangely. Solution is to run Cocktail and then Disk Warrior and then always quit Quark before opening Adobe or Adobe before Q use. Doesn't happen with Tiger OS on our G4's. Yes we still use all the systems!
2. SL is troublesome (google it) so avoid the upgrade altogether! Even downgrade to L. We have found success with Q6 and Leopard because of our Rip compatibility. Q7 works 75% of the time, Q8 about 60% but these things are likely Rip related (old Xitron Harlequin)
3. Legacy files should be handled by the app and OS level they were made in; eg: OS9 with ai8 and Q4 and 5; Tiger with ai10, CS and CS2 and Q6, CS3 and CS4 and Q6, 7, 8 with Leopard (we hate the CS4 working interface)
4. Watch out for a font manager acting up too.

We find a smooth operation occurs when we use the above methods and utilities.
Keep in mind that backward compatibility is never 100% and as we move forward into 64 bit etc etc, backward compatibility is/will be disappearing!

John W

Oddly enough, the one Mac that is 10.6.4 (mine) only has Quark 7.3.1 on it. My other coworkers have Q8, but on 10.5. Q7 runs OK, but sometimes takes a very long time to create PDF files. The first couple of times that I used it after upgrading to Snow Leopard I thought it was hanging up/stalled, but found that it was not properly displaying the progress bars. Once I figured that out, I was OK, but have taken to saving Page EPS files and then converting to PDF from there, because it ends up being much faster than waiting for JAWS distiller to do it's thing.

I'd like to say that we would migrate to Q8, but we haven't seen the demand for it. Also, we have not seen the demand for CS5 yet, either. I think our whole industry is on pause right now.

Quark 6.5 acts flaky (dialog boxes will be missing options, or OK/cancel buttons, etc.), but does not quit or hang up. We have one client that still sends us files in Q6.5, and insists that we use it because of the way it handles color. (?)

John W is right, backward compatibility is never 100% and is disappearing. We will have to find ways to migrate those customers unwilling to new versions of the software. We can't keep 36 old Macs and PCs around because some person wants to use PageMaker 4.2!

Last edited:
Hey guys, the only issue we are having with 10.6.4 is with Quark 7.5. Everything else is working like it should. But all comments are taken into consideration.

I did change the permission of the Quark folder and its contents for everyone read & write. So far it is working but with a warning saying the registration is corupt. But still works.

p

Upgraded all Macs in my department - G5 towers, new MacBook Pro, new iMac - to SL utilizing previous Quark 7.5 installs on all systems. Extensis Type server used for font management. No problems.

Upgraded all Macs in my department - G5 towers, new MacBook Pro, new iMac - to SL utilizing previous Quark 7.5 installs on all systems. Extensis Type server used for font management. No problems.

Hey Chris, G5's can't run 10.6.x it is for intel only Macs. Maybe you meant MacPro's since the form factor is the same as G5's but inside they are intels. If so, would be interested to know if you did a rebuild of your Mac or just did the update?

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back