quark 9

digitalatsigonedotcom

We were recently forced (kicking and screaming) to purchase the new version of the q. I last used it a few years ago on 6.5. We have a Rampage RIP. The first thing I noticed was on a job we have done several times (but not in a few years) that converts spot to CMYK in Rampage (all images are build in PhotoShop as duotone spot colors). The colors are separating with different builds - as from a Lab definition, so the color in Rampage is like the inverse of what I need/want to match the previous. Using FontWizard XT I exported to a pdf and rebuilt/remapped the spots to the Pantone color bridge, but whether I let Rampage remap or if I use the Pantone bridge definitions, I cannot match the previous proof/finished product. I know its because of how the q 9 handles color definition. Short of reinstalling the q 6.5, any ideas for a workaround?

I would try exporting a PDF directly from Quark and bypass FontWizard.
We haven't used FontWizard in either versions 8 or 9.

Why in the world are you using a font application to achieve a color result?

Al

P.S. Obviously I know little about FontWizard.

Why in the world are you using a font application to achieve a color result?

Al

P.S. Obviously I know little about FontWizard.

It's been a while since I've had to use it, but I think it was to keep colorized (spot color) tiffs, in Quark, from converting to CMYK when sent to Rampage.

Erik

Font Wizard XT is a recommended XT by Rampage. They used to recommend using "Device N" as the preferred color output, but it has since been removed. Using "As-is," for the color does not work. Also, I've discovered that you have to use Duotone .eps and NOT multichannel DCS. Looks like the direct output to .pdf from the q 9 and NOT using Font Wizard XT is the way to go. Still struggling to get proper color, however, as Pantone + and Lab along with Rampage is screwing up the works.

Make sure the alternate color space is CMYK in Acrobat via Pit Stop, before you send the files to RAmpage. You may have to change the Spot via global change to the old version of that spot to get the same CMYK numbers as well. I've been seeing LAB as the ACS even from InDesign generated PDF's lately so it's not just a Quack thing...

Pantone + has new L*a*b* definitions for almost every PMS color - some of the differences are quite large. To match the previous output you'll have to define the PMS colors as they were defined in the previous printing.

In the q, Pantone + is separate from the standard Pantone definitions. I've found through experimentation that to match my previous q6 project, I need to export a pdf from the q, not using FW XT, and I need to select "cmyk and spot" for color. Technically it's not the proper way because the separation builds on the spot convert differently from the official Pantoneâ„¢ color bridge definitions, but it's the way I need to do it to match the previous run separations. Depending on how you write your files, you can get 4 or more different values on the same converted spot color from the same file.

Yes, CS6 does the same thing. I understand why they use Lab colors, but it makes matching previous printing a bitch in 4-color.

OK... I'm about to lose my friggin' mind here. Yesterday, I exported out pdfs, and when RIPped in Rampage, depending on how the pdf was generated, I got 4 different builds for Pantone 139. I finally thought I had it dialed in, and got an exact match to my previous printing build from 2 years ago. Now today, no matter what I do, or no matter how I write the pdf, I get the same result, which is NOT what I want. WTF, q 9? I'm exporting it out the same way as yesterday when I got the desired results, and I haven't touched the q since then, nor have I changed or altered ANY settings at all. WTF?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back