Quark crashes in Mac OS 10.6 after printing

dleather

Srely others of you have experienced this problem - Quark 7.5 bombs after printing, now that I've upgraded to 10.6. I've done all the updates (to 10.6.4), and tried all the tricks found on the Mac user forums and the Quark forums. The move to 10.6 was made necessary when we decided to upgrade to CS5, with the intention of moving to InDesign. But we will still use a lot of Quark files while we transition...

Has anyone found a permanent fix to this problem?

Srely others of you have experienced this problem - Quark 7.5 bombs after printing, now that I've upgraded to 10.6. I've done all the updates (to 10.6.4), and tried all the tricks found on the Mac user forums and the Quark forums. The move to 10.6 was made necessary when we decided to upgrade to CS5, with the intention of moving to InDesign. But we will still use a lot of Quark files while we transition...

Has anyone found a permanent fix to this problem?

Your OS is newer than the application would be my guess, update to Quark 8 would be Quarks answer. CS5 doesn't require 10.6 either as you can see below. If you can run it, an install of 10.5.7 may fix it. I had to do that with my new iMac because of networking and application issues, and since I paid for Applecare, I called and Apple sent me OS 10.5.8 at no charge. That was last year tho...

Mac OS

Multicore Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.5.7 or v10.6
1GB of RAM or more recommended
8.2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs
QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for multimedia features
Adobe Flash® Player 10 software required to export SWF files
Broadband Internet connection required for online services**

Downgrade OS, hmm...

Downgrade OS, hmm...

I have some in the department using 10.5.7, and others still on 10.4.11. Do you think I can get an upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5.X still, or will I only be able to find 10.6?

Quark 7.5 crashes after print

Quark 7.5 crashes after print

Update: I deleted my printers from the list in system preferences and then added them back in. Their names look a little funny now, with some extra code or some random characters at the end (network settings?) but they all seem to be working well now.

Quark 7.x and Snow Leopard

Quark 7.x and Snow Leopard

From the horses’s mouth:
Quark 7.x is not supported under Snow Leopard. If you are going to use that app version with that OS you are probably going to encounter difficulties. Their support site offers suggestions but they in no way guarantee results. The best route is to upgrade to 8. If you have a substantial amount of work coming through as Quark 7 it may be worth the effort to set up a Leopard or Tiger partition to deal with Quark if you can’t justify the upgrade.

No Quark Support

No Quark Support

Yes I know Quark is no longer supporting 7.5, but I'm not going to pay the $400 for an upgrade just to retain my print settings. Quark has always been buggy, and I'm more likely to switch to InDesign sooner rather than later. This conversation is going on on a lot of threads of course... I was just wondering if anyone here had found another work around.

The idea of setting up a partition in 10.5 is interesting...but where can I get a copy of 10.5 if my computer came from the factory with 10.6 installed? Others in my department are still on 10.4.11, so I'd need to get a copy of 10.5 for them too.

I'm running 10.6.4 and have several jobs each month that require Quark 7 (I'm using 7.5). I haven't had any printing problems, but I usually export directly to PDF. Quark 7 is a little unstable in general on SL, though.

Some how my Quark 7.5 is working with 10.6. It is strange I will tell you why

Installed 7.5. Random crashes, print crash etc. Modified the premissions for the Quark application folder. Quark then reported the registration file was damaged. Made things worse. Installed Quark 8.x. Regeistered it. Then I then was able to re-register Quark 7.5. Now 7.5 is much more stable. But except when printing postscript. So what I do now is export to PDF and this all works.

Very strange. But 7.5 is now more stable then before installing Quark 8.

Good luck

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back