Quark font selection PC v.s. Mac

jsnkiefer

When creating a document in Quark on the Mac the measurement pallette shows, and lets you select, any subsets of that font available (ie... italic, semi-bold, bold,...).

When doing the same on a PC the subsets are not available for selection, which a customer using a PC has brought to my attention.

I'm trying to tell her NOT to use the measurement pallette to bold, italicize... fonts but
she can't (neither can I via screenshot) see where to select the subsets.

Can anyone help?

It's the Font Family thing

It's the Font Family thing

As I understand it, Windows always collapses font families into their root member, and you have to use the Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic buttons to get their variants.

That’s one reason why (at one time, anyway) opening a Mac file on Windows would cause a "missing font" error -- the program couldn't know about "Futura Bold", as it only knew about Futura.

Hope this helps...

-Jay Nelson
Editorial Director
PlanetQuark.com

The old requirement of never using the style menu isn't viable anymore. With the way that many fonts are defined you won't see separate entries in the font menu, she'll need to select the style(s) she wants from the measurement palette or the type style submenu.

In InDesign the menus are smart enough to not show you styles for fonts that you don't have. In Quark 8 it shows you a small warning triangle when you make a font that doesn't exist using the style menu. If she's using an earlier version she'll need to be careful to make sure the font actually exists before applying the style.

Good Luck
Shawn

Thank you, Jay and Shawn. I was always taught to NEVER use the measurement pallette to change font styles and I've never run Quark on a PC, hence my confusion.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back