Quark Memorial Service

Yup! Running on a 286 dosbox with a portrait grayscale monitor connected via GPIB to a ECRM diode film imager, the whole sorry setup from Klimsch (anybody remember them?) Thing is I was so imperessed that I started work at Klimsch, a half year before they got took out the back and shot.
Slammer was the last employee.

yet another slam-chunk for adobe . . . . adobe, or is it a-snow-be ? becoming as barbaric 'n proprietary as microsoft.

yet another case-in-point . . . more proprietary crap from adobe :

Lightroom 4.1 test version adds Canon 5D Mark III support | Crave - CNET

" But until now, Lightroom fans who have the coveted $3,500 camera could only see its raw files by converting them into the Digital Negative format with Adobe's DNG Converter software. "

Huh? What does this have to do with anything proprietary from Adobe? It's a new camera, and they needed to add support to Lightroom to read it's new RAW files.

People using Apple Aperture are waiting for an update to read this camera's RAW files too...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3813319?start=0&tstart=0

I used Quark for many years, for book and magazine work. Loved the program but the company was terrible to deal with.

The loss of Quark is a sad thing mainly because Adobe has no serious competitors today. You only have ID now because Quark had set the bar so high that Pagemaker couldn't compete. And Illustrator was much better because it had to compete with Freehand. The period where both drawing programs were fierce competitors was a wonder to behold, with each one getting better and more capable with every update.

Now, without a serious challenger, the Adobe products get buggier and more bloated with each new update. Illustrator is downright terrible in some respects. (Why does "snap to" only work intermittently; and why does it snap inaccurately at other times?) And the whole "Creative Suite" is really just a marketing fiction. They're up to CS6 now and there is still nothing like a truly common interface. Doing the same task in each program often requires a completely different strategy.

I don't feel sorry for Quark. They got what they deserved. But I do lament what a lack of competition has done to Adobe -- and those who have to use their products.

Mark

P.S.: Ventura publisher, running under the old GEM GUI was a wonderfully capable program.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back