Question about feeder training.

Xelios

I've been working at my company as a feeder operator for 2 and a half years now. I'm working on a Komori LS 40 (I believe that's it <.<) and I've worked on the older models as well and have a pretty good understanding of the feeder and know how to run them well. I was just curious though if there's any type of guide or anything anywhere that helps feeder operators learn the feeder better. I mean there are some things I still don't even know how to adjust because the lack of training for the pressmen... Most of them at least on my shift have no clue what half the stuff does on the feeder.

I pretty much had to figure out the new LS feeder on my own with the suction tape and all the new gadgets. I just figured I'd ask if there's anything out there or am I SOL? lol.

Thanks.

as someone who worked my way up to pressman from feeder op, all i can say to you is it takes time and getting better at it takes good ol experience. you need to put the hours in and
the longer you work at it the more you learn as you go. you also need a good person training you. i never had that. i had to learn the feed by myself. i was told after one single week of "Training" that i had to "figure it out, or someone else will". that was nearly 10 years ago now.

find the operator manuals for your press. there's going to be operating instructions for every inch of the press. find the things you don't understand and read about them. then, when the opportunity comes up, use what you have learned.

if you need to know anything specific, post a question. i'd be happy to help as i know what it's like to be in your shoes.

You can also lay in wait for the service engineers, with a list of questions. I see operators get a lot of good information that way. Would Komori have a training DVD?

John Lind
Cranberry Township PA
724-776-4718

I agree with what Albert says, Read the manuals, and makeusre you stick at it, i've noticed these days most feeders dont stick with it once it gets a little difficult (we've all been their, trying to get 90 Gram to run second side with a full sold sheet :) and remember nothings set in stone so just because everything looks like its set as it should if the feeder keeps tripping dont be afraind to try something that might not look quite right, Coz it usually works lol

re Feeder Training

re Feeder Training

Hello fellow "Lithographers" and Learners

I shall post some PDFs on operating Sheet fed Offset Press Feeders, in particular the main type which is as you all know is the -- BOBS !!

Regards, Alois

" From knowledge to competance is a great step---from ignorance to competance an even greater one"

re Feeder on a Offset Press

re Feeder on a Offset Press

Hello fellow Lithographers and "Learners"

As promised -- the PDFs on B.O.B.S ( Built Out Back Separation) Feeders

which are the de-facto feeder on modern offset presses.

Part # 1 --- more to follow in Part # 2

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• feeder # 1130.pdf
    867.1 KB · Views: 291
  • feeder # 2131.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 246
  • feeder # 3132.pdf
    533.4 KB · Views: 234
I have forwarded a link to this thread to the Komori district sales manager for my area. Let's see if they will take an interest in participating in the discussion.

Al

The Komori district sales manager for my area responded to me as follows:

"I couldn't get into this site.

Komori offers regular training schools on their LS40 presses in Chicago "for free"
to all Komori customers, lasting a week, they are very thorough, and never have more
than 6-8 people, to allow maximum hands on opportunity.

Komori purchasers usually have 3 weeks training after the press is erected, sometimes more as
needed depending on applications like UV etc.,,but the plant owner has to allocate the pressman
time to participate.

Komori typically revisits the plants periodically to check in to see if there are any open issues,
and our service technicians, including trainers, make courtesy calls when in between installs,
With the slow down in press sales, it is hard to imagine any shortage of available talent, if the
plant manager, pressroom foreman or owner communicate through normal channels.

There are a cadre of independent Komori trained technicians and trainers always looking for work.

Get off the internet and make the call, I say."

I don't know what he means by "I couldn't get into this site", but there you have it.

Al

My 2 cents on Feeder training or lack of.

My 2 cents on Feeder training or lack of.

Isn't this part of the problem in this dying industry?.( Dying because 92% of Printing companies are operating like this while 8% of the PROactive Printing companies are growing and expanding beyond belief. ) Putting someone in charge of VERY important operation that is untrained and left to figure this out on their own, Wow!!. While this expensive piece of PRODUCTIVE equipment is being expected to PRODUCE and pay the bills.

Next is to stop more of the bleeding and have just the Pressman run it on his own.

Shame on;
- the printing industry. FOR NOT RECOGNIZING THIS TREND
- these printing companies. NOT KNOWING ANY BETTER
- press operator. HIMSELF NOT BEING PROPERLY TRAINED AND PUTTING UP WITH THIS
- the press manufacture. FOR NOT ASSISTING AND WANTING TO GET THE MAXIMUM CAPABILITIES OF THEIR PRESSES AS THEY ADVERTISE

Greg Exelby Consulting. 360-201-3771

xlb

xlb

XLB,
I disagree. I read this post and was proud. The pressman/feeder asks for help and was replied to in a timely manner by many people that express a caring attitude including a FACTORY rep from Komori.
Unlike other companies that seem to advertise here. You hardly ever see a factory rep reply to a question or comment. But Komori did and in a professional manner.
It should be set up so if you advertise here a rep should reply for all to see that reply. If you sell a good product be proud and defend it. Do not hide behind private messages or ban your employee’s from joining in the posts.
XLB remember a board like this is to share info but also to sell PRODUCTS from the ads.
Komori showed class and dedication by posting info as did all the other responders

re - Feeder Training

re - Feeder Training

Part # 2 of the PDFs

" Genius without education is like silver in the mine" - B. J. Franklin

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• feeder # 4133.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 243
  • feeder # 5134.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 241
  • feeder # 6135.pdf
    840.4 KB · Views: 230
  • feeder # 7136.pdf
    957.4 KB · Views: 224
Hi, Alois Senefelder,

You are a real Gentleman.....
your sharing s are worth millions to us....

Please keep up the good work.

cheers!!!!

Now on to "Sheet Insertion"

Now on to "Sheet Insertion"

A PDF on --- Sheet Insertion on Offset Presses

"ipsa scienta postestas est"

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• press manual # 1137.pdf
    907.8 KB · Views: 208
  • press manual # 2138.pdf
    539.9 KB · Views: 207
  • press manual # 3139.pdf
    416.5 KB · Views: 209
  • press manual # 4140.pdf
    879.7 KB · Views: 212
  • press manual # 5141.pdf
    588.4 KB · Views: 218
re - Sheet Insertion !

re - Sheet Insertion !

Last Page of the PDFs

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• press manual # 6142.pdf
    804 KB · Views: 222
any time ive trained a feeder operator i try to offer 2 vital suggestions. first i encourage them to study the way the feeder feeds when running well. look at everything and burn it into your memory. when a feeder is running properly it will usually look the same. also get in tune with how a properly running feeder sounds. you can usually "hear" a feeder thats about to trip before it actually does!!! the next golden rule is that more is not better!!!! use only the amount of air thats need to do the job. that rule applies to everything on a press from feeder to delivery. more is not better!!! minimal air, minimal suction, minimal, pressure on wheels, minimal ink, water ect ect

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back