Quite Imposing for VDP?

TJPrinter

Is anyone using Quite to do VDP? I’m not doing anything complicated it’s all simple like addressing postcards, newsletters and adding simple text here and there. I’m running a demo of it and it’s okay but seems slow when running 5,000 addresses 4 up. The shuffling of pages to do cut stacks just seems to take too long.

I’ve been using Quite Imposing for my imposing for years along with FusionPro Desktop for my VDP. I’m updating software and was considering dumping Fusion and using Quite to do my VDP along with imposing.

Any suggestions would be welcomed for alternatives but I have no interest in subscription software. I really like what Montax has to offer but I’m baffled so far on how it works and they don't have a 64 bit plugin, I would need to run their stand alone version.

The Montax interface can certainly be confusing. As for their variable feature, it basically works like this:

1. Open an imposition and select your data source.
2. Add a text box to the imposition.
3. Select a field from the data source.
4. Configure font properties of the text frame.
5. Position the text box as needed.
6. Remove the data source (text fields and variable place holders within the text frame remain).
7. Configure a watched (hot) folder.
8. Drag a PDF of the base/background art and CSV file of the same name onto the hot folder.

The result is an imposed PDF with the variable.

Although Montax still has some lacking features (like being able to use different fonts/colors/sizes in one text field), it may still work well for you given your usage description and what you get for the small price.

Best regards,
pd

The Montax interface can certainly be confusing. As for their variable feature, it basically works like this:

1. Open an imposition and select your data source.
2. Add a text box to the imposition.
3. Select a field from the data source.
4. Configure font properties of the text frame.
5. Position the text box as needed.
6. Remove the data source (text fields and variable place holders within the text frame remain).
7. Configure a watched (hot) folder.
8. Drag a PDF of the base/background art and CSV file of the same name onto the hot folder.

The result is an imposed PDF with the variable.

Although Montax still has some lacking features (like being able to use different fonts/colors/sizes in one text field), it may still work well for you given your usage description and what you get for the small price.

Best regards,
pd
This is helpful thanks!. I don't have enough time to demo it at work so I've been running the demo at home. The demo is a bit limited since it only does 4 up and limited to 20 records so I'm not sure yet if it will be okay for a couple of the larger postcard mailings I do. This is where FusionPro is too slow. It take about 30 minutes to process 45,000 records.

Montax has some really nice features and the hot folders are great deal even if I don't use the VDP option.

So, I assume you don't have InDesign then.
No InDesign, 98% of my files are customer supplied pdf's. If I can't fix a file with Pitstop the file goes back to the customer. I had some good success running some sample files on Infigo GO VI VDP. It's fast, 5,000 2 page records in about 40 seconds and it will do just about everything FusionPro could do except the imposition.

Like everything else lately it's a work in progress.

What DFE is on your device? Fiery VDP and impose handle 45000 cut stack post cards for me all the time.

I do break the output for cutting and organization. For example, I do batches of 9000 finished cards run 9 up so the cutting operator can keeps those in order and not have to keep track higher pieces while the ones in between are still running.

What DFE is on your device? Fiery VDP and impose handle 45000 cut stack post cards for me all the time.

I do break the output for cutting and organization. For example, I do batches of 9000 finished cards run 9 up so the cutting operator can keeps those in order and not have to keep track higher pieces while the ones in between are still running.
I have an imbedded Fiery that is adequate for what I need but has limitations. I do use masters and send my VDP without static background. I tried FreeForm Create several times but didn’t really like it much. I like that my imposition software isn’t tied to leased hardware plus it’s running on a pc with SSD and loaded with ram.

I batch my longer runs too, usually around 5,000 and place in trays as I go.

The leased software I get, but I also see it as a monthly cost for the device and divide it into my monthly click. That way it's charged for over the life of the machine. If you own the software what happens to updates or replacing it when the company goes under? Lets face it monthly software is a cost of doing business and staying current. Plus you have software that can do the job and IMO does it well why not use it?

Was the Freeform dislike tied to the bustled fiery?
I had a 12 page newsletter that just needed addressing and I tried 2 times and the file kept crashing requiring a reboot. The 3rd attempt was the way I always did it, impose as booklet in Quite, send master and then use master from file created in FusionPro. No problem, the file ran fine and it wasn’t a large job around 500 addresses. Maybe is was just a Fiery/Xerox issue but it wasn’t worth my time to find out why it kept locking up.

I don’t have Impose so FreeForm Create isn’t very useful for me. Quite Imposing has been great, support is outstanding and it’s not tied to one machine and I also use it for imposing jobs on the Canon 44” imagePROGRAF.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back