Rampage V11

@appstro, how much faster is v11 than 10.5. I am running 10.5 on 3 sep (rip/trap, proof, server) quad core HP workstations, would an upgrade to 11 be significant enough to justify the upgrade?

I have seen their demos and would like real world evaluations. You know those sales guys will say anything. This is for a client of mine that I do their prepress, I also work on a new 4.04? Prinergy install and it is exponentially faster than Rampage, just wonder if 11 can even be in the same league.

I have never used 10.5. I have used prinergy and it is faster, but you have way less control. None of the RIP's are perfect but after using Rampage, Brisque and Prinergy, I prefer Rampage.

I have been using Rampage for about 5 years and Prinerrgy for about 6 months, what do you consider as being more control? Just curious because we do a lot of color pubs and the speed factor is the biggest sticking point with pdfs and Rampage. I agree the organization of job parts in Rampage is nice and it is very easy to control via remote access, but ripping time seems to be the rate limiting step,, just wanted to know if there is a real difference in v11 or is it just another pay for interface change, like CS4.

I dont know about Rampage version 11 verses any other version. In prinergy it always seemed like you had templates set and that was it. No trap control or overprint black whatsoever with our Prinergy unless you created another template. So eventually we had templates for several situations rather than being able to change things on the fly like I can in RAMpage. Prinergy RIP'd files very fast compared to prinergy though. I find Rampage no faster than Brisque in some cases. But its cool to be able to select objects and alter the trap or create foils and varnished quickly. Also from what I know about price, RAMpage is cheaper. At least thats what I am told. Converting everything over from Brisque to RAMpage caused a ripple effect in our dept. Things that were working for many years suddenly needed to be totally reconfigured to work with RAMpage. For instance the lotem will not work with RAMpage so we had to keep the Brisque box to be able to plate. At first the plating was dreadfully slow until we upgraded the Brisques RAM and put in another rotation board. Wish I could help more. :)

We did have a significant speed increase by going with a dual process and v11. v11 takes advantage of the dual processing. (2 rip apps on the same box)

I plan on installing the 11.1 update this week.
I'm interested to see how the new PDF preflight feature functions.

If you are a v11 user I will give you an hour of free training webinar on building a preflight profile. No strings attached. Shoot me an email and we'll block off an hour for a webinar.

We are currently using RAMpage v10.5 on a Quad Core Intel server and are thinking about upgrading to v11. We are also not sure how much of a difference it will be upgrading to this new version. I heard that it is a total new interface with tons of new options vs. 10.5 and will require new training. Is this true?

I do know that when/if we upgrade to the newest version, we will be going from the PDF workflow and start using the JDF workflow. I hear it's a lot better to use and a lot easier. I just don't know how to use it yet and I'm not sure if it's faster either.

I have upgraded to 11.1
The interface is still the same but they have added a lot of nice features. The main reason I upgraded was the dramatic increase in Pdf Trap Engine speed. Jdf is simply a instruction set that Rampage can use for imposition, you still need to feed it files. IE: pdfs. I have been using and installing Rampage for ten years and if you can read the manual and play with the application you don't need to hire someone to train you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back