Recommended Options for making Digital Film?

DuaneBryant

What current/recent solutions should we consider for making size-accurate film, in 29x41in format or slightly larger? Our application is film positives for screen printing. Budget is not unlimited so price has to be considered.

We need to retire our AGFA Avantra 44 imagesetter(s), and it has been a few years since we looked at alternatives for making true-size film. Last time we looked, lots of inkjet solutions were offered, but when you actually compared ten films, each one was a slightly different size at that time, by an amount that was bigger than our tolerance: we are seeking repeatability +- .004 or less, over 29x41inch.

Was the distortion in direction of travel? Issues of distortion in direction of travel can be due to unclean power.

As far as I know there is no technology remotely comparable to imagesetter film exposure to achieve ± 4 mil spec using sheet or roll fed substrates. Some of my customers had no option but move to DTS machines.

I moved to an Epson SureColor using Mitsubishi Clear Proof 180 100" roll with 3" core, and I've been happy with the accuracy. The trick was in the feed adjustment. We are outputting dielines and not concerned about a DMax and our maximum sheet size is 28.5"x 40", so YMMV.

Was the distortion in direction of travel? Issues of distortion in direction of travel can be due to unclean power.
Am doing a new round of tests & measurements: will report back once accomplished.

If unclean power is the problem, is there a device to purchase that a printer can plug into that filters/cleans the power?

Why are you retiring your Avantra?
Reliability.
Uptime.
Repair.
Cost.
They run 24/7/365 and wear out. Parts are difficult if not impossible. People to work on them are rare and hard to find. And expensive. AND if they have to fly-in, WAY expensive. The diagnostic software only runs on like Windows 2000 or something, so very hard to remote-in for support using TeamViewer or similar. The whole hassle of dealing with developer and fixer, and constant processor maintenance and problems.

I moved to an Epson SureColor using Mitsubishi Clear Proof 180 100" roll with 3" core, and I've been happy with the accuracy. The trick was in the feed adjustment. We are outputting dielines and not concerned about a DMax and our maximum sheet size is 28.5"x 40", so YMMV.
We are testing Epson T-5270. Will report results.
Would you please elaborate in detail on "The trick was in the feed adjustment"? Exactly what adjustment? Where? How?
With thanks...
Duane

We are testing Epson T-5270. Will report results.
Would you please elaborate in detail on "The trick was in the feed adjustment"? Exactly what adjustment? Where? How?
With thanks...
Duane
It's within the print driver. Advanced options/Advanced media control

Am doing a new round of tests & measurements: will report back once accomplished.

If unclean power is the problem, is there a device to purchase that a printer can plug into that filters/cleans the power?
Yes. Power conditioners are available for a reasonable price.

Reporting that we have purchased a used, circa 2007 Esko CDI Spark 4835. Using the Laser Point II Next Generation film, which is a clear 7mil film.

We first extensively tested all the inkjet solutions marketed toward making film: the dimensional fit, repeatability, register color-to-color on susequent films were just too far outside our needed tolerance. All being at least +-.007inches, for a total maximum error between films of .014", and up. We got slightly better, but similar results from tests on the Exile Liberator XE3612 sold by Xitron, and Anderson & Vreeland, measuring a total maximum error between films of .012".

Our testing on the CDI revealed more like +- .002, for a maximum total error between films of .005".
We are purchasing the film from DotWorks.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back