Registration issues on C6500

exify

I've had a KM C6500 for about 2 years. The first year, the machine ran 12pt c2s like a champ, no problems. The second year, it decided it doesn't like to register the 2nd half of the page.

I run it 13x19, and the end of the paper closest to the machine (when output) is all messed up. It starts as just a thin line of shift, maybe a little darker or something). If I let it keep running, the whole rest of the page shifts and it turns into a mess of toner. The service guys can't seem to fix it. They keep blaming the thing in the machine to buckle the paper to align it. But they never fix it.

Any ideas (paging random)?

Heavy sheet?

Heavy sheet?

Are you using a high capacity input tray (4 or 5)?

We started with a c6500 and we had that a couple times where they tried to blackball us about the paper and say it was out of spec. So we produced their literature which said it was in spec, and told them to make it work or pack their machine out. They packed their machine out and said they would no longer service us.

Now we have the Oce CS650 (same machine) but WAY better service organization. And we print 130# Gloss cover for business cards all the time.

I'd say hammer your tech. We had a registration board go out 3 times on the C6500, so you might have something of that sort going on.

We had what sounds like a similar issue. For us it was just in the magenta unit. They tried a few things and then just replaced the entire magenta section and then we were good again. The local service company couldn't fix it Konica came in themselves and was able to correct it.

Sorry, Im having trouble trying to interpret your fault. You say half the page is a blur, or would you say just over half way is ok and then it is a blur? Can you scan in the fault and post it as a pdf or something?

Registration

Registration

If they are having the same issue we had, which it sounds as though it is the same, at somewhere around the halfway point down the sheet the image begins to blur/smear as if either the machine cannot lay the dots down right or it is losing grip on the stock before it can be fused. It happens only on heavy stock.

Steve:

Yes, we use trays 4 and 5, mostly 5. Was the registration board the issue that fixed it on the Oce? How'd you manage to get out of the lease with no consequences? Breach of contract for not running stock in spec?

Last edited:
Exify, can you go into the paper tray adjusments and set the 2nd transfer pressure to low and let us know what it looks like.

The service techs are here currently so I can't but I'll see what I can do afterwards.

Also to clarify, the prints start out fine then progress to bad. On a 100 run, maybe the first 20 will be good, then 10 or so with just a line, then the rest smear and blur and whatnot.

Konica exit

Konica exit

Exify - They volunteered to leave, tore up the lease, and refunded three months of clicks and service. They said we were overtaxing their service personnel and would rather walk away!

The board replacement was on the Konica, and each time it only temporarily solved our problem. We have yet to see it happen on the Oce.

Steve - I wish Canon would do that for my CLC3900! I'm tired of it.

I just harrassed them when they were here and after a few hundred test sheets, no problems so I hope it's fixed at least temp.

edit: spoke too soon, back again

Last edited:
Grain Direction

Grain Direction

We had the same issue when running 14pt on our 6500. I switched the grain direction to Grain Short and the problem went away. It seems that these machines like Grain Short when running thick stock.

I've never had bluring on heavy stock. My problem on 14pt has been what looks like scratches usually yellow. through area of the job. Neither grain direction fixed the problem. this was c1s so my local KM service group says it's out of spec.

Paper

Paper

We always buy short grain cover for both of our digital color presses - that seems to be the most reliable way to go. As far as the 14 pt, Konica's original paperwork to us (when the machine was first launched here) touted the ability to run 14 pt cover through drawer 5 in 257-300 gsm mode. They also claimed a duty cycle of 300,000. Funny how quickly that literature disappeared from public circulation. Of course, I still have it under lock and key:D

Try a couple vendors if you have ongoing problems. We were diehard Sterling Digital users but found that Pacesetter Prodigital, especially on our house 100# cover gloss, runs more reliably in the cs650. We tried 4 or 5 brands because it is no fun fighting paper when you need to be selling printed sheets.

I am not a tech and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night...;)

I was just relaying what our techs did when we had the issue.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back