Remove Trimbox Action?

ctipping

Hi all,

I was wondering where to find the action to remove the trimbox from PDFs? I need to automate it to do this and combine a bunch of separate PDFs together but I can't seem to find the actual action. On the Enfocus site on the actions manual page it lists it as one of the 256 action list functions available but doesn't seem to have a link to download it. I also downloaded the entire list of actions and its not among them. Anyone have any ideas?

I am using Pitstop Server 8 update 3.

Remove TrimBox
The Trim Box defines the final cut size of a printed PDF document. This action will remove the trim information from a PDF.

Remove TrimBox

Thanks!

Courtney

Yes, hopefully you are using Pitstop 7. Next to the Inspector icon in your tool bar in acrobat. You should see the Global Change. Open that and select the Page category, off to the side of the dialog box you will should see an option that says, Define Page Boxes. That you can set all the dimensions for the Trim, Bleed and Crop boxes.

Hope that will help you.

confused :)

confused :)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but for the life of me I cannot figure out where the Inspector Icon is in Acrobat. I was hoping I could do this in Pitstop (version 8) as an action?

Found it but...

Found it but...

Ah I was wrong. I need to CROP to Trimbox not remove Trimbox. Is there a way to CROP a PDF down to the trimbox? I have tried creating a new local action (now that I understand it more) but I have not been able to see any way of creating an action that actually crops down a PDF.

Sorry for my own confusion - its a bit of a steep learning curve for me in such a short time :)

Last edited:
I don't have version 8, but I just glanced at the version 8 manual and it has a section on Global change. Maybe that will help you navigate to the right area. I did see in my version 7 in Global change that you can change the sizes of all the boxes in the PDF. (Crop, trim, bleed)

Here is the link to Enfocus page with Pitstop 8 manual. Enfocus - Manuals - PitStop Professional

Hi Courtney

Depending on your reasons for cropping the PDF you should use the global change or actions to make either the crop box or the media box equal to the trim box. In version 7 at least, there is a grab button in the global change that will let you pick the values for other pageboxes. Then you can save that global change as an action list.

If you make the crop box equal the trim box it will change the view you see in Acrobat but leave the extra data outside the crop box in the file. If you place the PDF in another program or change your Acrobat settings, the extra data could still be there.

If you change the media box it will effectively remove the extra data outside the trim area.

Think of the crop box like you would a picture box in InDesign or Quark. You can have more image that's invisible outside of the crop box area.

Think of the media box like you're printing on paper that's smaller than the image. Once you set the media box smaller than the rest of the image or file, that data is effectively gone from a production standpoint.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

Last edited:
Ah I was wrong. I need to CROP to Trimbox not remove Trimbox. Is there a way to CROP a PDF down to the trimbox? I have tried creating a new local action (now that I understand it more) but I have not been able to see any way of creating an action that actually crops down a PDF.

Sorry for my own confusion - its a bit of a steep learning curve for me in such a short time :)

Do you want to delete all content outside the trim box as well? PitStop can select all elements that lie completely outside the trim box and remove them.

Try the following:
Select all
Select objects inside/outside region (select trim box and select everything outside the region)
Remove selection

You can also change the sizes of the other page boxes to match the trim box by adding the actions:
Change media/crop/art/bleed box (select trim box)

Masking the remaining elements outside the trim box can be done by adding rectangle from lower left and upper right corner of the trim box and make a mask.

cheers,
bert

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back