Restrict Editing on PDF...with one exception.

earl

My customer wants to restrict editing on PDF files, EXCEPT leave the ability to extract pages. With the new Acrobat Pro, even a rasterized PDF is easily converted to text for editing.

Nothing has changed with Acrobat in any releases over the last several years in this regard.

What your customer needs to do is use the protection mechanism within Acrobat to disallow changes but allow page extraction. It works (I just tried it myself).

Of course using rasterization as a “protection mechanism” won't work since OCR (available for quite a while in Acrobat) can be used to create text from images. Plus, rasterization not only bulks up the size of a PDF file, but effectively ruins its quality.

- Dov

The choice in Acrobat Security is worded : "Changes Allowed: Any except extracting pages" Which is opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish, unless it's worded funny and I'm misunderstanding. Thanks Dov. Appreciate your reply.

See attached images - I put these settings on a PDF, and I think they give the results you want - Everything is restricted except page extraction.

Attachments

• photo8206.png
    photo8206.png
    307.7 KB · Views: 259
  • photo8207.png
    photo8207.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 257
See attached images - I put these settings on a PDF, and I think they give the results you want - Everything is restricted except page extraction.

Yes, this is what does in fact work; I actually tried that before posting my response above. ;) You can modify it to allow printing as well as extraction.

- Dov

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back