Ricoh 7100 UV not adhering to large solids . . .

dabob

We recently have an issue with our UV coating not wanting to stick to the toner on our Ricoh 7100 . . . any ideas - no supplier change lately and our supplier doesn't have a clue.

No UV coater here, wonder if Ricoh changed something in the toner? Is it happening on all stocks?

Stock doesn't seem to make a difference . .. the UV sticks fine where there is small amounts of toner . . . its the large blocks of toner that are giving us fits.

Did it always not stick to large solids and you just never noticed before because of the artwork?

What about special digital UV coating supply? I seem to remember a rep from Tec Lighting talking about this once. If your coater was never validated for digital then that might be the problem?

I was told canons toner was different from other digital toner. If you had xerox and the ricoh is new it may require a different coating.

Tec Lighting Bulletin

"UV COATER PRODUCT BULLETIN"
"The purpose of this product bulletin is to advise Ricoh and their customers that when applying uv fluid to output from the Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110 production print engines, a specific uv fluid is required. "

"THE CHALLENGE:"
"We have found that there is a constituent in the toner used with the Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110 production print engines which repels uv coating. The result is that when TEC Lighting’s standard uv fluid 1227 or 1227-­‐-­‐-­‐1 (which is used for the 901, 751 and 651) is applied to output from the Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110, the coating does not adhere properly to the toner and scratches off easily."

"THE SOLUTION:"
"Due to the fact that TEC Lighting formulates its own uv fluid and that we have a long standing partnership with Ricoh, we are able to adapt to the changes such as this. We have a uv fluid formulation which allows us to overcome the adhesion problem described above. The customers using TEC Lighting uv coaters with output from the Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110 need to be instructed that they are required to use TEC Lighting’s 1006A uv coating in combination with the use of the infrared lamps that are on board TEC Lighting’s uv coaters. Customers who have previous models of Ricoh production print engines and the Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110 may use the 1006A on output from all engines without a problem. When customers purchase a TEC Lighting uv coater this is reviewed with the customer during the pre-­‐-­‐-­‐ installation checklist and therefore the correct fluid is shipped with the coater. Customers who currently have been using a TEC Lighting coater with output from previous Ricoh production print engines and who purchase a Pro C5100/C5110, Pro C7100/C7100X Series, and the Pro C9100/C9110 need to be advised of this bulletin. "

"Anyone with questions regarding this product bulletin can call Paul Hebert at: "
"([email protected]) 855-­‐-­‐-­‐458-­‐-­‐-­‐0004 "

I'm running a 9100 and have a Morgana Digi-Coater using Actega coating chemistries and haven't seen any issues. Weekly I coat some Masterpiece Graphix 8 mil synthetic with satin coating and regularly coat post card mailings using their gloss coating, just recently did one that was solid ink (toner) and the only thing I noticed is that when I trimmed them, there was a little bit of "fuzz" that I could just blow off. I know my coater doesn't have the capability of letting me know when it's lamp is going bad, I asked the tech and he told me when the sheets coming out of it are sticky, that means the lamp is going bad! LOL! With mine I can alter the speed I want it to be under the lamp, maybe slowing yours down would help.

We run a Ricoh c901s and a 7110. UV sticks great to the 901 prints, we can the UV coater at full speed and no issues, but we have to slow down the feed applicator wheels, and the drive belt when doing the 7100 prints. The UV needs a little extra time to bite into the heavy toner areas on 7100 prints. If you UV coat immediately after the prints come off the press, while they're still warm, then this will help too. We've even had success by putting the sheets in front of a heater for a while, and then UV coating, I guess the extra warmth helps soften the toner or something. We've also run the sheets through the UV coater with the lamps on and the coating turned off, this heats up the sheets too, then we run them back through with the coating on and it works a lot better.

Changing UV coating can also help. Our old coating we could only run at 3/4 speed for 901 prints, we changed coatings and were able to run full speed.

NiCoat 7963LD - run @ 75% speed on c901 prints, not tested on 7100
NiCoat UVL630G - run @ 100% speed on c901 prints, 50% speed on 7100

Update: We got some of the TEC lighing fluid and it makes it better at least sellable . . not quite as good as we would like - we are looing into other ways to help it now, will let you all know how it goes

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back