Ricoh 9100

Kyle Arn

I was just curios on weather anybody has the Ricoh 9100. What is your experience with it? Is it worth getting? What are the pros and cons?

We have had it for a couple of years. Workhorse. We love it. So far no issues. Basic maintenance. Ours loves running envelopes.

We have had it for a couple of years. Workhorse. We love it. So far no issues. Basic maintenance. Ours loves running envelopes.
Even window envelopes? If yes, do you buy special ones for use on a digital press? We are considering the 7100, so I presume the envelope capability will be available there as well.

Even window envelopes? If yes, do you buy special ones for use on a digital press? We are considering the 7100, so I presume the envelope capability will be available there as well.

The 7100 will run A7, 6x9 and bigger envelopes. No go for #10's even with flap open.

Window envelopes need to be laser safe. It runs digital envelopes and even the ones we open the flap. For short runs 500 to even 3000 to problems.

Actually very happy with the 9200 running envelopes so far. However on caveat is, the envelopes with the diagonal cut flaps didn't seem to run as well however we had to run some #10 Window and got the square cut flap and ran 10000 really with no issue. We had a Xante and tbh it really was kind of a pain and decided to get rid of it.

I have tried running envelopes on a 7100 and seem to run okay but that was pre-opened flap and did jam every now and again. Ran catalog envelopes and seem to do much better but had to be more conscious of the seem of the envelope as far as where the image was being laid down.

That's pretty interesting we have a Xante impressia and yeah I do not really like it. I feel like the 9100/9200 is the best way to go its fast has good quality and seems to be pretty reliable. Adding on the ability to run envelopes successfully will basically remove the need for the Xante.

Yeah the only negative thing I suppose is you have to run fairly small batches in the tray at a time, however depends on run size if this really is a concern (i.e. 500 vs 10000 could be a killer in runtime). Also the tech said he hates when ppl run envelopes because it wears the belt funny.

For the occasional run of envelopes though it's a great option.

Our 7210 runs #10s with the flaps closed all the time. Windows do need to be laser safe or they wrinkle terribly.
Can you post a video of this, Ricoh is saying they do not support envelopes running through the top bypass tray and local techs didn't know of anyone doing it. I am looking at upgrading one of my 7110's and I would like to see that run before I add the bypass tray. Thanks.

I have a 9110 and it is a beast.
Pros:
Great color
  • Long duty cycle
  • I run all types of envelopes through it with no issue (not tried windowed)
  • Fiery is pretty stable
  • TCRU parts are easy change

Cons
  1. Registration can be dodgy (tray alignment helps)
  2. Paper catalog can be a pain at first but easily learned
  3. The fuser is HEAVY!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back