Ricoh C7210X

kdw75

Does anyone have any experience with this machine? We are looking at replacing our Versant 2100 with either this or a 3100. The 5th color station really looks like something we could use. We haven't had samples printed yet. Our 2100 has had decent print quality, but never could print screens without mild banding. Print quality and color consistency are of utmost importance to us. We do 140k impressions per month, mostly 12.5" x 19" gloss paper.

I did notice that the Ricoh doesn't seem to have the 1200x1200 10bit Ripping, but I am not sure how much that matters in the real world.

Last edited:
Could you post some pictures of your banding issue? I'm surprised the 2100 is giving you any banding at all considering the 1200 x 1200 @ 10bit printing, as that was the most noticeable difference between our J75 and V180, was that it did not band almost at all. Perhaps you mean large uniform solids across a sheet that are screened? If so, I can understand if it is a majority of your work.

Could you post some pictures of your banding issue? I'm surprised the 2100 is giving you any banding at all considering the 1200 x 1200 @ 10bit printing, as that was the most noticeable difference between our J75 and V180, was that it did not band almost at all. Perhaps you mean large uniform solids across a sheet that are screened? If so, I can understand if it is a majority of your work.

I do NOT mean banding from graduations. We run lots of jobs that have pages with background colors, such as PMS 158 and you can see what look like gear streaks running across the sheet about every 1/4 inch or so. We can usually mask the problem by changing the screening to "150 Line".

This is an example of the banding we can't see to get rid of.

Attachments

• photo8607.jpg
    photo8607.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 335
After seeing print samples from the Ricoh 7200 series I must say that I am very impressed with the 5th color station and it is certainly something we have demand for. Quality wise, they seem certainly on-par with the Versant 2100 and I don't see any banding of any kind. I have some print jobs with complex gradients that I plan to have printed on the 7210 just to make sure that it is up to the task with it's 2400x4800 8-bit specs versus the Versants 1200x1200 10-bit specs.

i have ricoh 7110x and had versant 80 before, i dont see any quality difference, if machine is properly maintained. the output from ricoh is more glossier than xerox, so solid black looks nicer imo. initially we chose ricoh over xerox just because of the lower click rate, but now i fell like Ricoh is a better machine to run. registration is better, i dont know about v2100, but v80 was not so good. Vacuum tray is much reliable than roller feeding, the xerox tray i had before had issue to pickup 80lb silk text paper. and all the parts are customer replaceable, so the up time is also better.

i have ricoh 7110x and had versant 80 before, i dont see any quality difference, if machine is properly maintained. the output from ricoh is more glossier than xerox, so solid black looks nicer imo. initially we chose ricoh over xerox just because of the lower click rate, but now i fell like Ricoh is a better machine to run. registration is better, i dont know about v2100, but v80 was not so good. Vacuum tray is much reliable than roller feeding, the xerox tray i had before had issue to pickup 80lb silk text paper. and all the parts are customer replaceable, so the up time is also better.

I have reservations about switching, but the pros are hard to ignore. I keep looking for a down side. For what we are paying for a 2100 and C75, they are willing to provide two 7210x machines with Plockmatics, which is an upgrade from the Xerox bookletmakers with square fold trimmers we have. Then throw in a lower monthly charge and lower click rate.

Ever since Ricoh sold a couple inkjet presses in our area our Tech has been harder and harder to get ahold of. We have to wait for another Tech from another area to come service us when we go down and can't fix the issue ourselves.

I would see what kind of Service turnaround times they will agree to.

They pretty much all print the same these days, but who can keep you up and running? Cost goes out the window when your down.

I would always recommend getting two of them just incase one goes down and the tech can't make it for a downed machine.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back