RICOH Pro C7100X / C7110X

copyhut

Going to NYC to look at this Ricoh Pro c7100 next week...wondering if anyone has any insight? anyone demo it yet? anyone have one placed yet? Seem like a very interesting box with the 5th color and the 13x27.5" paper size availability...just looking for some insight! Thanks

not until june

not until june

Going to NYC to look at this Ricoh Pro c7100 next week...wondering if anyone has any insight? anyone demo it yet? anyone have one placed yet? Seem like a very interesting box with the 5th color and the 13x27.5" paper size availability...just looking for some insight! Thanks

we ordered ours today... but i can't judge it until june since delivery will be delayed because of heidelberg's DFE... which is not ready yet...

Good morning. My coworker and I went to see the 7110x yesterday at Ricoh's office in NYC. We demoed it for about 3 hours and got a really good feeling for the machine. Most likely, this will be our next digital production unit.

The machine is a beast. Lots of setting for individual papers. By lots, I mean things that I'm used to changing in service mode, I could change on the stock that I build into the machine. Now I'm coming from a C900 so settings are severely limited in comparison even in service mode.

The machine we saw had 2 large capacity trays. Tray 3 could print 13x27.5", but in the machine it says it could print up to 49". They guys there were not sure what we could do with that setting. We would have tried it if we knew about it previous to going. Printing 27.5" paper was easy with a couple drawbacks. It would not duplex the paper we had. Maybe that was the setting that we had the paper set on, maybe not and the Ricoh guys could not answer that. One other drawback was the tray could not go down to the smallest size of the machine. We asked if we could switch back and forth between long paper and regular paper and were told no.

We brought some felt cardstock with us. It printed very smoothly with a stock setting they already had in the machine. We also brought some #130 Classic Crest Smooth. We printed a job we would normally print on press because of the thickness and quality. It printed with no problems at all and looked very good.

Envelopes. The bane of my existence running digital machines. We brought some #10 envelopes with us. Due to the fact that tray 3 was setup for the longer sheets and could NOT be modified, we had to use Tray 4. Tray 4 could be sized properly to a folded #10. Keep in mind, there was no paper stock built in and I did not have the time to set one up. It jammed when using manual settings. Probably because I manually put in the settings, but I imagine I could get it running with properly setting it up. We unfolded a bunch and it ran perfect.

Now I come to the more important reason we wanted to look at this machine: White and Clear Toner. The machine we saw had the white toner already in and due to time constraints, we could not switch to clear, but from out understanding it is very easy to do it. Takes about 15 minutes.

We brought with us some #130 Strathmore Chocolate. We laid down a white layer and then a CMYK layer. It looked pretty awesome. We saw some samples they had there of white printed on black. One sample was put through once, another twice and one more three times. As you can imagine, the more layers of white, the better it looked, but even after the first pass, I was impressed.

We also brought some 15 pt foil stock to try. We have a video of the machine printing it so we wanted to try ourselves. This stock gave the machine trouble. It jammed on the first due to the default setting of the Fiery being set on duplexed. Once we figured that out, we sent it through correctly and it jammed through the Eject tray. Although it jammed, the white and black toner that we printed on the sheets looked very good and we are excited to try again. With some adjustment, I am sure we could have gotten it to run.

All in all, we were impressed.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to respond here on the thread or email me direct at [email protected].

EDIT: One thing I forgot was the Carolina 18 pt we tried. 18 pt is 358 gsm I believe. The 7110x maxes out at 360 gsm. It ran that one side only like a trooper.

Last edited:
That's the amazing part. I've seen three other machines from three other OEMs and they are just not as good, in my opinion, as this machine.

It was a no brainer for us to pick this machine. Nothing in its class compares in quality. A lot of added value with the white and clear toners. Not to mention that the click charge is a lot less than the competition for us. I also have samples of print on transparent plastic.

It looks perfect... I will take pics in an hour and post... be bought the machine from Heidelberg. It's labeled as linoprint CV. What I was by the Heidelberg rep in the exhibition is that the machine can run any plastic substrate as long as it resists a certain temperature. Forgot what that was.

Check the photos below. Not perfectly taken. I did my best.
IMG_20150227_200313.jpg
IMG_20150227_200341.jpg
IMG_20150227_200422.jpg
IMG_20150227_200443.jpg
IMG_20150227_200841.jpg

Those pictures are plenty good enough to give me an idea about what to expect if the need comes around.

On a side note, my boss just asked me to ask you what kind of pricing Heidelberg is giving you as long as you don't mind divulging. If you want, you can pm me.

We had a demo yesterday, the switch between clear and white isn't quick, our demo guy suggested more like 25-30 mins. The clear was a worry for us especially on our business card stock, only just visible even after hitting it twice, it was nice on a light silk stock though

We installed the Ricoh C7100 about 6 weeks ago... We researched MANY different machines and settled on this one. We chose not to add the 5th unit for now since we can expand to that later, but we did get the optional BY5010 Multi Bypass Tray which allows us to print a 13" x 49" sheet. I can tell you that printing that large of a sheet prints flawlessly and even on large solids it does a fantastic job.

So far we've been VERY impressed with the quality, in just over 6 weeks we've put over 100,000 impressions on it (all 12x18 clicks), we are looking at adding another Ricoh black & white unit this summer. We are primarily a commercial offset printer, but I introduced our company to the digital world back in 2007-2008 and we've really increased our sales. We replaced a Ricoh C900 that had nearly 5 million impressions on it, glad to be rid of the fuser oil, and the new fuser design of the c7100 is about 1/3 the size and a LOT lighter... :)

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back