RIP: do I need it?

Mizze

During my work I need to print several jobs (PDF) of few (but complex and heavy) pages in 1-2 copies. Using the actual system the real throughput of the printer is 10-15 ppm with a declared speed of 60 ppm.
Printer producers suggest buying an external RIP (ex. EFI) to improve the elaboration capability, but there is something I can’t understand: why leave to the printer the elaboration (whole or in part) of the files while I have a PC that can do this process better? The EFI proposal is the only way to solve the problem or there is another solution (ex. hidden setting)?

I have an embeded efi on an ikon cpp550 and it does the same thing on some documents. copies run fast but the machine stops to think between sets. like its re ripping

From what I can translate from your post you have a machine with a rated speed of 60ppm. The files you are printing are huge and the speed is reduced to 15ppm. The bottle neck will almost certainly be the RIP. I assume you are using an embeded controller manufactured by the maker of the engine. As a rule these a woefully underpowerd and only really suited to bar graphs and emails. A fiery or something similar will speed things up.

Most likely, your machine is rated at 60ppm in 8.5x11 24lb bond paper. Are you using this paper and getting 15ppm?

It seems to me that you have a workflow issue. The RIP is receiving multiple PDF files for 1 or 2 copies; it's taking a few seconds for the RIP to process this jobs independently and put them in the print queue ready to print. By the time the print engine is done printing job #1, it probably cycles down until it gets job #2 in the queue.

You may need to find a way to put all your PDFs in one single file and send everything in one single job. Do you think you can do that?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back