RIP sees and outputs the elements and space surrounding Cropped-Areas of PDF: Any way to make the RIP honor a cropped PDF?

DuaneBryant

1)Is there any Rip setting that honors the Cropped-Areas of PDF?
We are running Xitron Navigator 13.0r1.

When a PDF is cropped in Acrobat Pro DC, of course the screen displays a smaller area and reflects a smaller document size. However, when I Rip, the original area and any elements outside that cropped area, show up.

2)Our workaround, from Adobe Support, is to print the PDF to a new PDF to "strip-out"/delete all that surrounding space & elements. BUT...WHY should I have to do that? Seems like some Rip setting should offer me the chance to get WYSIWYG in the PDF.

3)Please do not suggest purchasing additional software, unless it is less than a couple hundred bucks or so. I am asking to keep the discussion laser-focused on the lack of WYSIWYG between PDF and Rip.

You have to define your page size bounding box (CropBox, TrimBox, etc...) in the PDF options at the RIP and be sure to define that area for the PDF being sent.

It's likely honoring the default setting which isn't working for your particular files.

Just edit your PDF so that the Media Box (and other boxes) are the same size as the Crop Box.
I'm assuming you have Acrobat Pro already as a minimum if you are working with PDF.

Just edit your PDF so that the Media Box (and other boxes) are the same size as the Crop Box.
I'm assuming you have Acrobat Pro already as a minimum if you are working with PDF.
Thank you for your time and efforts to help me.
Please forgive my ignorance, but How/where does one change Media Box in a PDF, using Acrobat Pro DC?

Print Production>Set Page Boxes
Thank you for your help:
1)So it seems that "Media Box" and "Page Size"/"Page Box" are terms used interchangeably?
2)If so, then I use the section in the lower left "Change Page Size" (same as seen when cropping), then check the "Custom" button and enter a page size that is slightly larger than the other 4 boxes: Crop/Art/Trim/Bleed? When I do this, I always get an error "PAGE SIZE MAY NOT BE REDUCED".

Attachments

• PAGE SIZE MAY NOT BE REDUCED.jpg
    PAGE SIZE MAY NOT BE REDUCED.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 143
You have to define your page size bounding box (CropBox, TrimBox, etc...) in the PDF options at the RIP and be sure to define that area for the PDF being sent.

It's likely honoring the default setting which isn't working for your particular files.
Attached is my "PDF OPTIONS" window in the RIP.
1)I do not see any place to define Crop/Art/Trim/Bleed...
2)BUT, in the dropdown for "Page Size Bounding Box", when I change from MediaBox to CropBox, then I get WYSIWYG. Please help me understand any negative ramifications from leaving this setting on CropBox?
3)NOTE: Our use of Acrobat&Rip is simple and unique. We essentially do NO imposition, we just Rip files as supplied to us by our customers who are printers: the pdf files we receive are already imposed with "multiple-up". It is just that sometimes, the supplied imposed file has WAY too much extra space/elements around the "press-sheet size": therefore we need to remove/crop that excess.

Attachments

• PDF Optioins 2 on Rip.jpg
    PDF Optioins 2 on Rip.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 141
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 2.51.55 PM.jpg

You'll find this in the Page Setup Manager...bottom left of the dialog box.
Make this match what you set in Acrobat and you should be good to go.
If you define the Crop Box (for example) and have the RIP set to honor the Crop Box, the page size shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
What are some negative ramifications you can think of from leaving this setting on CropBox?
You can chose whatever bounding box you like, but when you send a PDF to that RIP, it is going to process at the size defined at the RIP.
CropBox is fine as long as it is defined in your document and it is the chosen bounding box at the RIP.

What are some negative ramifications you can think of from leaving this setting on CropBox?
CropBox is designed from someone saying "This is what I want to show when someone views my PDF on some device"

MediaBox BleedBox and TrimBox is what we use in the professional prepress and print vertical. Whom ever is building these PDF should be educated about PDF/X if they are preparing PDF file to be exchanged reliably for PRINT - see page 6 of the attached. I helped create that document when I worked for AGFA back in 1999 - this is OLD NEWS - and good luck !

Attachments

• Intro To PDFX AGFA.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 199

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back