RIPs for Screen Printing (dts)

Does anyone have feedback/suggestions about 1 bit tiff rips for large format Screen Printing direct to screen?

We currently use Harlequin, and it's ok, but I would really like a better FM dot than HDS.

Anyone using anything else? If so, how do you like it?

Well, it has a repeating pattern, (which isn't a deal killer, as we use it for yellow only) but I think the "worm" pattern is a little tough to keep from bleeding on a screen print. Also, there isn't a lot of flexibility as far as micron size. We are planning to upgrade to a 1270 dpi device, and we'll need the "double dot" plug in to get a pattern coarse enough to screen print cleanly. Finally, (this falls under the category of "pet peeve") it's a little annoying that you have to set up separate page setups and hot folders to get a halftone cmk/stochastic yellow combination.

I've seen output from other rips (Esko, ColorGate, even Wasatch) that have really nice random FM patterning, but they have drawbacks as well (i.e. price, speed, flexibility, etc.). That's why I threw the question out there. I've never really been in love with Harlequin, but I haven't found anything that screams "better mouse trap".

Drawbacks aside, you might find that the licensing for FM screening options is significantly more expensive compared to HDS, let alone the cost of the RIP.

Why are you using FM for the Yellow?

best, gordo

It's fairly common to print the Yellow in FM to help avoid moire. Unlike offset you have to fight lpi to screen mesh issues. You can't run the lpi angle in parallel with the mesh.

Also, with screen printing, "pile height" is an issue. Since the ink tends to be like paint, and sit on top of the substrate, rather than soak in, the yellow can create a moire against the other colors as they tend to fill in the low spots between dots.

I've read a little about it and emailed back and forth with a rep. It looks pretty interesting, but the rep seemed to think it wasn't a good fit for resolutions as coarse as we require. I'm not sure why though.

Hello,

You could take a look at Studiorip, it offers wide options of screening solutions, Hybrid comes as standard, FM, with control of dots sizes, shapes etc, which should the control you want in your screen printing situation.

Regards,

Rolf
Studiorip.co.uk

Does anyone have feedback/suggestions about 1 bit tiff rips for large format Screen Printing direct to screen?

We currently use Harlequin, and it's ok, but I would really like a better FM dot than HDS.

Anyone using anything else? If so, how do you like it?

We have a Luscher Jet Screen, we are also using Harlequin also. Not the best but it gets the job done. We print 63, 85 and 133 line. One 63 and 85 our yellow is FM, Super C. We are running 390 mesh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back