running 18pt board on SM52-ok or stupid?

robb

We are hoping to buy a 2005 SM52-6-LX. We have found one, and are interested, but it does not have the board option, which allows it to run up to 24pt board (otherwise it is rated for 16pt). It is hard to find one with board option. So I have 2 questions:

What is added or changed on a SM52 which allows it to run up to 24pt?

Is it sensible to run 18pt board (about 25% of our jobs on that press) and still expect high quality on paper? As my boss says, "You run either board or paper, not both".

your friend and mine,
Rob

Last edited:
Ret Heidelberg Instructor

We are hoping to buy a 2005 SM52-6-LX. We have found one, and are interested, but it does not have the board option, which allows it to run up to 24pt board (otherwise it is rated for 16pt). It is hard to find one with board option. So I have 2 questions:

What is added or changed on a SM52 which allows it to run up to 24pt?

Is it sensible to run 18pt board (about 25% of our jobs on that press) and still expect high quality on paper? As my boss says, "You run either board or paper, not both".

your friend and mine,
Rob

The press that has the board option has more sensors on the feedboard that are electro-mechanical. The transfer cylinder gaps can be adjusted to allow for a thicker substrate. The guide plates throughout the press above the double transfer are different to prevent marking.I can't remember if the CP 2000 will allow you to enter a thickness value for 18 PT board. In my opinion you risk damaging transfer jackets (They are not cheap). More marking issues. Do not even attempt grain short. If you can find on that has the board option you will be better off. Other than that all I can tell you is the press is a sweetheart.

"The transfer cylinder gaps can be adjusted to allow for a thicker substrate."

RHI, does this mean that there is no adjustment on the transfer cylinder gaps on the standard (16pt.) version? And, is it a manual or CP2000 adjustment? And, do the transfer cylinders actually shrink a bit to allow thicker substrate?
Thanks RHI-I was hoping you would respond. It has been maddeningly difficult to find straight answers on this issue.

Robb

Hello, I ran a SM74. We would adjust the packing that were under the cylinder jackets.Also, true about the short grain stock, avoid.

"The transfer cylinder gaps can be adjusted to allow for a thicker substrate."

RHI, does this mean that there is no adjustment on the transfer cylinder gaps on the standard (16pt.) version? And, is it a manual or CP2000 adjustment? And, do the transfer cylinders actually shrink a bit to allow thicker substrate?
Thanks RHI-I was hoping you would respond. It has been maddeningly difficult to find straight answers on this issue.

Robb
Sorry for the lack of detail on my first post. I will elaborate further. On the standard model the only way to adjust the cylinder gap is by adding or removing packing from underneath the cylinder jackets. This can be done on the bottom transfer cylinder before the large double transfer and on the upper transfer cylinder after the double transfer cylinder. This is a manual procedure and is not done at CP2000. Only printing pressure adjustment is done at the CP2000.
On the expanded range model the first transfer cylinder is in ribbed sections with a metric scale that can be adjusted using a 6mm T handle Allen wrench that comes with the press. There are 2 types of jackets that are used. The bottom transfer jacket is different from the top one. The upper transfer is only adjusted via packing sheet underlays. Hope this helps. Re-post if you have any more questions.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but I am hoping you can answer a question about the sm52.

On videos of the press I can see on the top of the side frames what looks like plugged holes. Two on each side. Are these covering tapped holes that one can screw a bolt into?

It seems like the CD 102 has similar plugged holes. ??

Thanks for any responses.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but I am hoping you can answer a question about the sm52.

On videos of the press I can see on the top of the side frames what looks like plugged holes. Two on each side. Are these covering tapped holes that one can screw a bolt into?

It seems like the CD 102 has similar plugged holes. ??

Thanks for any responses.

Eric, those holes are covered by cosmetic plastic inserts. They are bored out holes where the lifting bolts are screwed in and attached to the gantry assembly or lifting tackle that lifts the unit and moves it into position to aligns the unit for assembly. The same holes are on every press, though I am not sure of the VLF model. Check You Tube, there are some posts of Heidelberg presses being erected. Hope this answers your question.

Eric, those holes are covered by cosmetic plastic inserts. They are bored out holes where the lifting bolts are screwed in and attached to the gantry assembly or lifting tackle that lifts the unit and moves it into position to aligns the unit for assembly. The same holes are on every press, though I am not sure of the VLF model. Check You Tube, there are some posts of Heidelberg presses being erected. Hope this answers your question.

Yes it does. Thank you very much.

Thank you all for the info. One last (perhaps) question so that I am sure I understand-on the standard 16pt. SM52, at what thickness does one have to re-pack transfers?

Robb

Thank you all for the info. One last (perhaps) question so that I am sure I understand-on the standard 16pt. SM52, at what thickness does one have to re-pack transfers?

Robb

The important thing to do is change one unit first and do some testing after you re-pack. Do not print yet. The presses used to ship from the factory with different colored packing sheets that were of different thickness. For example the blue packing sheet was .015 thousands of an inch. The yellow was .010 thou and so on. The packing under the 1st transfer jacket is critical. I used to start with .10 thou packing which allowed me the latitude of printing a range of paper from lightweight to 10 pt card. If you printed on heavier stock, I would pack the cylinder and then slide different thickness of paper stock to see how much gap there was between the impression cylinder and the transfer cylinder. You want to have a clearance where your stock will slide easily in between the gap. For 16 pt card you would probably use a 4 thou to 6 thou underlay sheet or no sheet at all. Just remember that these jackets damage very easily and when a 16pt card folds over and goes in between the gap, you will ding the jacket. For continuity pack the transfer jackets to the same height, although the send transfer is not a critical. Hope this answers your question. Good luck.

Have you looked at the Ryobi 520 series press? Its rated up to 20 pt and and double sized cylinders for reduced marking.

Now that we know what it takes to run board, we will of course print test the press. Thank you all for the education.

Robb

Now that we know what it takes to run board, we will of course print test the press. Thank you all for the education.

Robb

One final note from me on the subject of transfer jacket packing. When I instructed the operators on these presses, they were shown how to make packing changes if necessary. On the SM 52 it is a relatively easy procedure, much the same as changing a blanket. If you call a Heidelberg tech in to do it, your wasting your money. If for some unforeseen circumstance, your not careful with running board on this press, you will have to call Heidelberg to assess possible damage. You are wise to print test this press and see what it is capable of printing. Good Luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back