Ryobi question

[email protected]

I heard the Ryobi series machine consisting of the 3302M/3302H are now obsolete. Why would any company do such a stupid thing? Please let me know if this true.

OG

Re: Ryobi 3302 to Offset Guy

Re: Ryobi 3302 to Offset Guy

The 3302M is no longer. It has been replaced by the 3302C, which now comes standard with Crestline style dampening. The 3302H and the 3302HA are still in the line.

Thanks for Info on the 3302/04 series

Thanks for Info on the 3302/04 series

Thank you for the reply. It is nice to see the 3302 series will continue. I thought since ricobi sleeps with the laser boys at Ptec they would use their muscle and force people into the di copiers and discontinue that fine machine series.
I have installed over 100 Crestline’s and a few Kompacs on the 3302M/H/HA/3304/4995 etc and I must say the people love them. It brings that machine into a different level of performance and quality.
The water system on the original press I call the Tone-O-matic. Many Ryobi techs swear by them but IMHO they are too touchy and require too much care by the operator.
I have a 3304HA and 4995 that with Crestline’s will out print a DI any day. Why buy a DI for $300K-$500K when a good CTP and a 3302HA/3304HA will do the same job for less cost to the owner.

IMHO Only
OG

I ran an Itek 3985 for years and I have to say that it is the best small press ever made. However you are correct when you talk about the original water systems. The Crestline is the greatest single addition to that press ever. Set it and forget it as Ron Popiel would say. I ran some very kille 4-color process work 2 pases on that press for 5 years and never even replaced a roller in the Crestline. Accel is a great company. That's my 2 cents.

Todd

Coated Text Problems on the 3302H

Coated Text Problems on the 3302H

Does anyone out there have problems feeding light weight coated text on their 3302H?

ReyHub,
I have 3302's both the M and H etc that run coated stock all day. What problem are you having? Proper set up is important and a few other factors also. What weight stock are you asking about?

OG

We have the same problem with any gloss coated text, and we're not newbys by the way. I have been a pressman since 1966. The specific problem is static. The feedboards tapes on our 3302 and 3304 built up static to the point that the paper sticks to the tapes, is drawn hard into the stops and bunches up sometimes to the point of doubling up. Onces this starts it is impossible to continue. This happens after less than 200 sheets have been run. It only happens with gloss text and only on the first side. Once the paper has powder on it, it is no longer a problem, the paper feeds fine. Ryobi denies there is a problem, we are looking for a fix, we run a lot of coated paper.

Static can be a bastard. Have you tried static spray on your feed pile or running tinsel down your feed board along the wheel bars? Give that a whirl or invest in a static bar.

I agree with Jimbo. Static is the issue and the Ryobi series seems more prone to that issue.
Even the almighty DI has static issues from time to time.
I recommend this: Clean the belts both the tops and bottoms with warm water on a soft cloth and you will be amazed at the difference. Also an Anti-Static spray on the belts and feed board will help.
Look at the manufacturer of the static eliminator on the press you have, Probably a Simco!
Make sure the points are clean. Products made in Japan are far from perfect……look at Toyota. They denied any problems also!

OG

Here's the rub and why this is so frustrating. This is not a new problem with these presses. They have been in operation in our plant since 2004. Winter seems to be more troublesome than any other time of year. We have a humidifier running 24/7. The presses have static bars. We have tinsel cord running off of all parts of the presses including the feedboard tapes and tape drive rollers. We have wet cloth dampers sitting on the feedboard and keep it dust free. The four color pressman has run tinsel from the feedboard down to a pan of water on the concrete floor. There are 4 feedboard tapes and we run only 2 of them under the 4 straps for the first side run, the other 2 are out of the way and doing nothing. The straps are pressed to maximum pressure to hold back the sheet and we put a series of forwarding rollers barely over but not touching the front portion of the paper to keep it from bunching up and folding over. If you stop the press with a sheet on the board it is stuck to the 2 active feed tapes from static which has gradually built up to the point of having to shut down. The force of the sheet driving forward at this point is so strong that it will literally lift up the steel forwarding rollers and all 4 straps which are not light weight. I actually have to tape weights onto the straps that have no tapes under them to keep the sheet down. By the way, the paper feeds into these presses the long way with the (exa 12x18) 12" side going into the stops because that is the maximum width for these machines re: 3302H and 3304H Ryobi. As I stated before, once there is powder on the sheet for the 2nd run through there is no more problem. We have run thousands of coated sheets every year and every winter we have this problem. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmm...sounds like people should pick up their feet when they walk. Never heard of such a static distraction before, even during winter months.

Can I ask you this, when you shake hands with someone in the press room do you get a shock?

Maybe some rubber mats for people to walk on would help. Please tell me you're not running presses on a carpeted area.

i wonder if the pressmans hair stands up high with that much static,

Here is a PDF that will help

Attachments

• 3302 Static.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 265
Offset guy you t*%#er

Offset guy you t*%#er

When are you going to realise that Ryobi 3302/Itek 3985 are TOYS!!!! How many have been installed in the last 12 months??? My guess is NONE. They were great in the eighties & nineties.....But we have moved on....Maybe you should!!!

3300's

3300's

Noone has any illusions about the duplicator realities of the 3300's. They are not even close to a full commercial offset press. The reality is we are stuck with them and I need help with this problem. Thanks for the PDF on static and thanks for all the comments. We really appreciate it and please keep them coming. I'm hoping to learn something that will help eliminate for at least control this problem. Thanks again. :)

PrintMadd,
Glad to hear from you. I know of a few 3302C’s installed in the past few months. I know you are on the cutting edge of machine equipment but some printers still use the 3300 series. I am just trying to help users with problems the best I can.
I wish you the best of success with the equipment you own or operate Printmadd.
OG

reyhub
I run a lot of vinyl on my press and the static can be so high your eyebrows stand on end. The cure I have found is a static gun manufactured by Airtec company. It plugs in and attaches to your house air. I run 15pt vinyl and would be lost without this gun.

Thanks for that info. I definitely will check that out. Could you give me a source for that? a web address or phone number?

Last edited:
static

static

hello reyhub,
I can look for the correct web address tomorrow. The company name is actually AIRTX.
The gun is used in auto body shops mostly. They shoot a car just before they paint to make the dust fall of.
Shoot your load, shoot your press and always shoot your cutter operator.
John

we run heidelbergs but can have static issues also. we put a humidifer next to the feeder when we have trouble. takes about half hour to start helping but tends to keep things running all day.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back