Same barcode (with BWR applied for flex) needed for spec sheet run on hi-end laser.

G440

I’m a teleworker/designer working primarily in package design. As it is, I end up filling administrative voids for my accounts and doing de facto agency work. One of my client’s products are printed on flexographic presses and we’ve been applying a BWR to all of those barcodes (about 45 SKU’s). A typical size of these packages on press are about 24” x 34”. When possible, We’ve been creating the barcodes at 120%. I’m aware that the BWR is press specific, so we provide the numbers to our printers and have them apply the BWR. (3 categories and 3 different printers. 2 run paper, house CS1. 1 runs on poly)
Now, my client is requesting the barcodes for spec sheets that will be printed on a desktop printer or a hi-end laser printer. I’m concerned that if we simply pull the vector barcodes from the flexographic production files and put them into the spec sheets files, they will not scan correctly. Do we need to go back to our print vendors and remove the BWR for the same barcodes to be printed for scanning on the spec sheets? Or am I just getting cranky for nothing?
I’ve seen this coming for a while, have contacted GS1 and other resources but nobody seems to even know what I’m talking about let alone have an answer. I Haven’t pushed this, but now I need answers.
Thanx

Do you have a smartphone? there are free apps for reading barcodes so it makes testing easier now . . . just throw it in a document and print it to your laser, their laser or inkjet and see if they scan . . .

just out of my curiosity how would you deal with a QR code on your packaging - it seems BWR couldn't be applied there?

Thanx for the suggestion of the SmartPhone apps. I’ll wipe my glasses and take another look at what’s out there. The obvious solution is to just run & test. If the spec sheets destination is an inkjet printer the BWR adjustment could probably still apply. We may not get A rating but as long as they ping I’m happy. Hi-end laser? Maybe not. I’ve successfully scanned barcodes that I thought had no chance of pinging.
QR codes are different from GTIN barcodes. They have a 2D, datamatrix in that they can be read both horizontally & vertically, GTIN is horizontal only. Also, the algorithm they are created with allows for a higher margin of error which is why they can be put just about anywhere and work. I’ve never applied any type of adjustment when creating them and they’ve always tested for me and there have been no known failures I’m aware of. Where they send people is an entirely different sort of failure of intent.

Hello,

You are right to be cautious. A smartphone will not give you a barcode grade like a proper barcode scanner will. If your barcode fails, your phone won't tell you where the problem lies.

Luckily you are working at 120% so your chance of getting a good scan is increased even after BWR. The compensation for bar width adjustment is only a few microns. Once you get to 80% the difference between a 'A' pass and a 'F' fail is less that the width of a human hair.

Since this is a spec sheet, you might want to try a disclaimer? "Barcodes are shown here for positional and proof reading purposes only. Actually scanability is dependent on production methods."

If you are still worried, send me a private message and we can arrange to scan one of the barcodes on my Axion Scanner at work. You'll get an A4 report back on how it scans.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back