Scitex Screens

Don OReilly

I'm running 4 over 4 jobs on a 2 color Shinohara 65.
I use film output from a Dolev 4Press, 133lpi with a composed dot.
I'm using that screen set, because the previous owner of that rip used it, but he had a 5 color speedmaster.
I do get some trouble with dot gain, any suggestions in changing that dot (round, diamond, square, or geometric are offered) to fit my press type?
Many thanks,
Don

I'm running 4 over 4 jobs on a 2 color Shinohara 65.
I use film output from a Dolev 4Press, 133lpi with a composed dot.
I'm using that screen set, because the previous owner of that rip used it, but he had a 5 color speedmaster.
I do get some trouble with dot gain, any suggestions in changing that dot (round, diamond, square, or geometric are offered) to fit my press type?

Dot shape isn't really going to affect dot gain much. What exactly is your "trouble" with dot gain?

gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Thanks for your response Gordon.
I do think I may have described the issue at hand incorrectly as dot gain.
This one booklet I'm working on will be run as 8 page, 19 x 25 signatures.
Many pages have a "background image", kind of like sand, with text and photos on top of that. Needless to say, we want all pages to be consistent. In the past however, it has not always happened that way, with minor color shifts thru the run.
I believe this is caused by the slight misregistration and sheet distortion that goes with doing this type of work on a two color press. Could you advise me on what type of dot you think would work best in avoiding those color shifts?
Many Thanks, Don

[SNIP]
I do think I may have described the issue at hand incorrectly as dot gain.
[SNIP]Many pages have a "background image", kind of like sand, with text and photos on top of that. Needless to say, we want all pages to be consistent. In the past however, it has not always happened that way, with minor color shifts thru the run.
I believe this is caused by the slight misregistration and sheet distortion that goes with doing this type of work on a two color press. Could you advise me on what type of dot you think would work best in avoiding those color shifts?

A change of dot type won't likely help much - although an FM screen would be more tolerant of misregistration issues it does have issues of its own.
I would suggest - if at all possible that you look at "heavy GCR" (re)separations instead. This type of separation would be much more stable colorwise through slight misregistration or on-press SID variations.

best. gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Thanks Gordon... I will give that a try, I've always run medium GCR, but can see the logic in your suggestion. And more thanks for Quality in Print, a most informative resource. Cheers, Don

If your background image is made up of low (less than 20%) dot percentages, as is usually the case, applying "heavy GCR" might not have any effect. I suggest that you check the percentages of the background before output, just to make sure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back