scratch off inks

bhm8hwcm

I was wondering if anybody had experience with scratch off inks. I need to print a job of about 1000 sheets of 13x18 on waterless DI press and need to do scratch offs. One option is to send out for screen printing but I thought I would look into offset printing if possible.

Is this possible? What is the process...ie. hits, coatings etc. Any names for ink suppliers?

Is this too much headache or should I just send out for screen printing?

Thanks.

Re: scratch off inks

Hello,

Ive printed a few jobs which required scratch off ink to be applied. All of these jobs were sent out to a finnishing house (cellaglass) the only requirement was to print a latex release varnish over the areas which were to be rubbed off. I think that it must then be uv on top as if it were possible to do with a cold set litho ink then we would have done it.

Paul

Barry:
I know that it is done in line on web offset presses. Screen printing is not necessary. The hidden message should not be very heavy coverage, a screen tint of whatever the message is. That gives more area for the protective "release" varnish or coating to adhere and protect the message. Then hopefully the opaque scratch off coating won't stick too much to the intermediate coat. I'm not too sure how well these clear and opaque coatings would work waterless on the DI press. It'll take some experimenting.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

we do them here on some jobs.
We use Heidleberg SM102 presses (10 or 12 color presses).
Depending on the color and density of the underlying image, put down the release varnish (or uv coat), then the cover-up (it make take anywhere from 2 to 4 hits to cover it up), then you put the scratch off on top.
Some require two passes through the press to get the right effect.

Depending on the budget, it could go either way, do it yourself or send it out.

oh, and we have our own ink company in house to make our inks, so that makes it a little easier for us.

Edited by: DavidMa on Jul 16, 2008 11:48 AM

Edited by: DavidMa on Jul 16, 2008 11:49 AM

scrach printing

scrach printing

Hallo DavidMa
I meet you through print planet I understood that you have good experience in scratch off field
i am facing some problem in scratch printing on paper sheet. We are printing the data on sheet by Xerox printer. then putting uv varnish on the top of it by offset machine then scratch off by screen printing .but costumer have complaint about the clearness of the scratch i.e. after removing the scratch area is not clean well. I need your help to solve this problem need your help to find the right ink and method in mass production
thanks &regards
jose
[email protected]

Hallo DavidMa
I meet you through print planet I understood that you have good experience in scratch off field
i am facing some problem in scratch printing on paper sheet. We are printing the data on sheet by Xerox printer. then putting uv varnish on the top of it by offset machine then scratch off by screen printing .but costumer have complaint about the clearness of the scratch i.e. after removing the scratch area is not clean well. I need your help to solve this problem need your help to find the right ink and method in mass production
thanks &regards
jose
[email protected]

Did a lot of scratch offs several years ago (2001-2004). Used to offset varnish them (matte offset varnish) and then apply scratch off using screen printing. Good consistent results each time. Product was a kind of instant win lottery card applied on label of consumer goods (canned vegetables).

Is it necessary to add a patterned background behind the number under the scratch off area to obscure it under the ink?

Is it necessary to add a patterned background behind the number under the scratch off area to obscure it under the ink?

Adding a screen around the type will aid in preventing the product from being read by placing a bright light behind the print. This is particularly important if a blockout stock is not being used. Experience with give away instant win cards is that the promotion is where the money gets spent and the buyer wants the print job for the least possible $$$.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back