Screens for Fiery or just Remote Desktop?

bcr

Hi folks,

Have a bit of a dilemma as to whether to bother connecting new fiery controllers up to monitors and keyboard/mouse vs. just using remote desktop to access them from a computer on the other side of the room?

Are there are any technical/practical restrictions if I set them up without screens?

I must admit I do like the idea of having a large monitor behind each machine if only to display the time remaining for large printing tasks.

Getting two Ricoh C5310's in an in-house repro room, with external E-47b controllers. There'll be a high power PC in the far corner. Machines will be mostly for legal printing, copying type jobs - lots of tabs and punching. One operator there part time and the rest self service.

SoggyWinter

I haven't had issues with RDP into an EFI machine. Some machine bios/firmware looks for a keyboard at boot and will error without one, but booting without a monitor attached shouldn't be a problem. You can usually turn off those hardware checks anyway.

Reactions: bcr

bcr

Ah good to know it's not strictly necessary, thanks!

Might still try and get some screens on wall if only because the speedometer and time remaining view looks cool lol!

msaeger

It's nice to have a monitor on them just so you can see what is going on with windows more easily. Like windows is trying to update and causing it to take a long time to start up. You can do everything from command workstation on another pc so you don't need one but if there is space to put a monitor I would.

Shawnd

I have two and keep a monitor/kb/mouse on one of the fierys, it sits unused most of the time as I do everything from CWS. I will RD into the fiery if I need to reboot it or use taskmgr to see what is going on.

The monitor/kb/mouse on the fiery is mostly for the techs to use in my setup.

donnied

As a tech, I prefer to have each Fiery have a Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse setup, if just to monitor the Windows side of the Fiery, updates, startup status and such, which are a generally the vast majority of problems that occur with Fiery's.

deckm00@yahoo.com

I usually recommend to my new customers that they 1) place the Fiery controller on the floor behind the printer (on a stand to keep it away from dust or any possible water leaks) and then connect the keyboard/monitor/mouse placed on the paper deck (LCIT), and 2) connect a keyboard/mouse to the printer's touchscreen. Yes, you can use the "Fiery Console" as we call it on the touchscreen but that's a remote connection to the Fiery so it's not as responsive as being directly connected.

Automatically Autonomous Automation

Automatically Autonomous Automation
Although the autonomous car is not quite ready, a lights out print operation is something you can do right now if you have a comprehensive Print MIS (Management Information System). The advantages can put money on your bottom line. So what’s your next step? Link to Article