Scumming Mystery

It's refreshing to see a poster give feedback of how a problem was solved. Too many times posters ask for help and everyone contributes with ideas and experiences and you never hear from them again. I take my hat off to you robbg439

When I ran crestlines years ago we got about a year on them and then they would go bad. When they went bad the print problems were always different.

Hmmm Dan said his Crestline rollers lasted a decade! Dan, do you have some secret roller cleaning mojo you can share?

I love a happy ending!
While our Crestline press was located in a manufacturer of pressroom chemistry and our printer had an entire warehouse of products to choose from, I do not remember anything being used on the press other than a mild press wash and fountain solution. We never bought ink, customers would send us ink and paper samples said to run poorly, or not at all, but we were able to run everything we received without difficulty. While I would not like to have that press back (an old 1250 that had literally been in a train wreck, it was in a rail car that derailed) I would love to have a 3302 with Crestlines to print the labels for where I work now. It is remarkable how well a small press can print when equipped with a good dampening system.

Gentlemen,

Tell me why you think the Crestline Dampening System is good system.

Regards, Alois

It is a comparative issue. Within the small press market the factory dampening (especially for the old school repliers) would have been either Conventional Molleten Sleeve dampening or Intergrated Dampening both of which were subject to performance swings. While not rocket science, the operator must monitor and adjust the dampening level.

The Crestline is an available aftermarket system designed to be installed and operated without further setting. It's design just works well. When properly installed no intervention is expected or required by the operator - ink/water balance is limited to ink feed.

postscript - I have run small presses with Kompac and Diamond dampening, both of which are Continuous dampening systems which can work as well as the Crestline dampening

Last edited:
The Crestline design is unique in that all of the roller turn at the same speed. This reduces to almost nothing the chance for friction between the rollers and in the absence of chemical damage, the rollers should last a long time. My experience was once the dampener was set, it did not require adjustment to run a wide variety of jobs.
If you avoid the use of any press wash containing acetone (this will be hard to do in California) and chemicals designed to remove calcium, the rollers should last a long time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back