Seeking good-quality tabletop folding machine in the U.S.A.

First, I do NOT wish to be contacted by sellers pushing their own brand. I'm looking for honest recommendations based on real-world experience, please!

I'm looking to purchase a tabletop folding machine that can handle up to and including 11"x17" stock. Most work will be 8.5"x11", and folds will be simple letterfold or just folding in half. So, my needs are quite simple. But I would also like to purchase a folder that has some extra features that would make it easy to operate by non-skilled office help when I can't be onsite. I don't know what those features would be, or even if they exist. I've been out of the industry for years now, and I want the machine to donate to my church (so that means non-skilled people will be using it from time to time!).

I'm looking for a new machine, not someone else's old headache. What are the current "good" brands and models? What features should I be looking for, that could simplify proper operation?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
...Doug in northern Arizona

Doug,

I have an older Baum folder and we love it. Even more since we recently had it rebuilt with new rollers.

I would stay away from friction folders. They work fine initially but are a nightmare after a short time.

Folding does require some amount of skill and patience lining everything up. I do not think there is a fool proof machine on the market. And if there is I would imagine its price point would be very high.

Doug,

I have an older Baum folder and we love it. Even more since we recently had it rebuilt with new rollers.

I would stay away from friction folders. They work fine initially but are a nightmare after a short time.

Folding does require some amount of skill and patience lining everything up. I do not think there is a fool proof machine on the market. And if there is I would imagine its price point would be very high.

Thanks for your comments, Robert. When you say "friction folders", do you mean all of the tabletop-style folders?
And I agree, folding will always require some skill & patience as you say. I'm not really looking for a foolproof machine, but one that will remain manageable for several years with normal periodic maintenance.

Can anyone speak to my original question? Does any one brand/model stand out nowadays?

Thanks,
...Doug

Doug,

I would suggest an air feed folder. It is a stand alone machine with a dual compressor that blows air and it is suction fed.

I will let the guys on here who know about newer machines advice you further.

Sometimes (most times) when you're folding digitally printed material you can get toner cracking on the edges. Creasing prevents the cracking and gives you a really nice clean fold.

It would be a shame to have someone print a nice tri/bi fold brochure and have horrible cracking on the edges.

Not trying to over complicate things, I'd just hate to see you look back in a couple months and say: "I wish I had considered the whole cracking thing before I started this endeavor."

The solution: Creasing.

One option: Hand creasers like this: Powis Parker Scoring Machine

It's kind of slow, but basically fool proof, and only about $1,300

Other option would be an electric creaser but now we're getting well into the thousands.

In my experience, creasing makes for a happier time when it comes to folding. Everything just goes where it's supposed to go.

Just a thought.

Doug,

I would suggest an air feed folder. It is a stand alone machine with a dual compressor that blows air and it is suction fed.

I will let the guys on here who know about newer machines advice you further.

Robert, can you name an example of an air feed folder? Just so I can look into it. Thanks.

Sometimes (most times) when you're folding digitally printed material you can get toner cracking on the edges. Creasing prevents the cracking and gives you a really nice clean fold.

It would be a shame to have someone print a nice tri/bi fold brochure and have horrible cracking on the edges.

Not trying to over complicate things, I'd just hate to see you look back in a couple months and say: "I wish I had considered the whole cracking thing before I started this endeavor."

The solution: Creasing.

One option: Hand creasers like this: Powis Parker Scoring Machine

It's kind of slow, but basically fool proof, and only about $1,300

Other option would be an electric creaser but now we're getting well into the thousands.

In my experience, creasing makes for a happier time when it comes to folding. Everything just goes where it's supposed to go.

Just a thought.

Justin, I'm familiar with the toner cracking problem you're referring to. In the shops I've worked in, the folder operator would fold a simple fold on the right-angle unit, and run a drip of rubbing alcohol down the foldline on the first unit. However, the toner cracking problem is not an issue with my current situation. The folder I seek will be donated (by me & my wife) to a Christian radio station who will use it to fold mainly fundraising letters. The letters to be folded are almost all just black ink on white paper - very simple.

baum 714 air feed is a popular one. you can buy them second hand as long as the rollers have been replaced. you can always change them yourself too. It does not look to me like the Machine has changed much the past 15-20 years so i dont see much reason to buy a new one. Just make sure it is has the gear driven side guide adjustments, otherwise getting it square will be a job every time you change paper size.
good luck

baum 714 air feed is a popular one. you can buy them second hand as long as the rollers have been replaced. you can always change them yourself too. It does not look to me like the Machine has changed much the past 15-20 years so i dont see much reason to buy a new one. Just make sure it is has the gear driven side guide adjustments, otherwise getting it square will be a job every time you change paper size.
good luck

Thank you for that. I've been noticing quite a few Baum 714's on ebay, and on other sites. I was thinking there seems to be a lot of them out there...now I see it's because they've been popular for a long time.
I appreciate your comments!
...Doug

The air feed mechanism makes them considerably more productive, and that makes them be in greater demand, hence the higher price.

Al

The air feed mechanism makes them considerably more productive, and that makes them be in greater demand, hence the higher price.

Al

Alright, that makes sense. As I think back to my printing career (mainly as a pressman) I now realize most of the tabletop folders my employers had on the floor were air-feed.

Mine is a 714 XE. It is an air feed. Stay away from friction.

Robert, point well taken. I think I'm going to be watching for a 714XE - they seem to be very nice units. Again, I'm hoping for a reconditioned unit, just to try to keep the cost down a bit.

...Doug

If you're looking for something foolproof for untrained operators that would be along those lines you owe it to yourself to look at the Duplo 915 folder. If you think you need air feed a similar model would be Duplo's 1200 model. If you're not running coated stock the 915 should work just fine.

If you're looking for something foolproof for untrained operators that would be along those lines you owe it to yourself to look at the Duplo 915 folder. If you think you need air feed a similar model would be Duplo's 1200 model. If you're not running coated stock the 915 should work just fine.

I just looked at the demo video on Duplo's website. That's impressive - actually, it's more in line with what I think I'm looking for than the Baum or Challenge folders. My intent is to purchase a folder, and give it as a donation to a Christian radio station near where I live, since they do so many mailings. Most of their mailings are either hand-folded or folded on this ridiculously inaccurate micro-machine that does more damage to a sheet of paper than good (it's what they bought when someone there said "we need a folding machine"). I'm aware that if I donate a machine like a well-constructed, reliable tabletop folder I will most likely end up being the one to operate it too - but that's ok, I'm retired now. However, the automated features of the Duplo folders seem to allow untrained operators to use it as well - which might be for the best, long term. They don't seem to run coated stock, so the 915 or 920 would likely suffice.

Thanks for that recommendation...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back