Selectset 7000 blank film @ power-up

I've just started using a Selectset 7000 on my new job. No manual :)

When we power up the device, it runs about 2 feet of blank film into the cartridge. This only occurs at power-up. I can image some film and cut it, then image some more, and no film but the first set will have that 2 feet of waste, so it's not a matter of minimum material.

Is there any way to suppress or at least reduce the amount of film that the unit feeds at power-up? (Is this a malfunction, even!?)

I've poked through the menus, but they are all icon-driven, and honestly they're not very intuitive icons. And, like I said, no manual :)

I found the settings for pre- and post-image extra feed, and they are working correctly. I set them way down, then set the back-end feed up a little because it needs extra material at the tail of a run because it always gets exposed to light when it's time to feed the material into the developer. But the 2 feet on power-up is a different matter entirely than the pre- and post-job settings.

Help please! Thnx in advance. And yes, I've been in prepress for 25 years and I'd never heard of this forum before. :confused: I can't wait to explore!

That was an old idea from Selectset software creators, named Film Lifetime Limitations and based on earlier film generations.
They supposed the Film could be exposed some way through slots between the covers, if it lays at the drum surface for some defined period of time. That means the first color/page will come out faded and will be wasted (from their idea).
SelectSets have no Film Rewind options to pull back the film into supply cassette, so accept that fact or use another CUT option via Control panel menu, to keep the drum out of film for night/weekend period of time

or use another CUT option via Control panel menu
What option would that be? (No manual, remember!)
If it can't be stopped from rolling out 24 inches of film at power-up, and there's no rewind, then how would a cut option help?

Look at CUT menu and pay attention on two pictograms with scissors on top (cut film without feed film into drum) and buttom (feed and cut then) - that's your choice

Last edited:
Not finding such scissors-on-top, scissors-on-bottom icons ...
Starting to think I might buy that manual for $50 from my own pocket.

Hi, not all the ss7000 waste that film at the beginning, i have seen a lot of ss7000 that do not waste this film when turn it on, it depends of the software that it was creating...

Hi, not all the ss7000 waste that film at the beginning, i have seen a lot of ss7000 that do not waste this film when turn it on, it depends of the software that it was creating...

Me either...
But the latest version of internal SS7000 SW was available at EPROM chips as an upgrade kit and not available anymore.
Put yourself in SS7000 owner's shooses: will you allow somebody to penetrate into your working device just to make a copy of that EPROMs :(

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back