Send plates without screening in Nexus?

pacart

I needed to scan old negatives which were already screened. I am using Nexus Manager 9.0.3 on a Mac and I can't figure out what setting to change so that it doesn't screen the artwork, but still does all the other stuff and sends to our imagesetter.

This is a 1 color letterhead. I tried to select the no screen option, but the resulting file is pixelated and grayscale, I usually get a bitmap image and no pixelation.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Josh

You have to have the artwork as Bitmap mode in Photoshop, then output it as you normally would through Nexus. Even though you'll pick a linescreen and all that stuff, it won't matter because the screening is already built into the 1-bit scan.

If your scan is not Bitmap mode, it likely contains areas of gray and that is what Nexus will try to apply its own screening to.

Glad you got it.

I'm new to Nexus and don't have it sitting in front of me, but for what it's worth I believe that the "unscreened" option results in an 8-bit image, like you would send to your proofer. No dot pattern.

Think of it this way - a solid area has no screening at all, so it wouldn't matter what linescreen you applied to it it would still look the same. A 1-bit image is really just a bunch of tiny solid areas - either "on" or "off", "black" or "white." So if you submit pre-screened art as 1-bit, any subsequent screening applied by Nexus doesn't truly get applied to those tiny solid areas.

Hope that explains it well enough.

As already said a bitmap tiff will not be re screened. So you need to save the images as a bitmap tiff and then just output to your normal workflow.

If you are using a plate scanner then it might produce DCS eps where each sep is really a bitmap then grouped together and a preview created.

Yes unscreened creates an 8 bit tiff intended for a proofer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back