Sending XMF JAR files to customers for proofing

Syncer

Hello all,

We recently bought XMF software. The newer version (3.0) will arrive shortly. In 3.0 the JAR files will be after RIP files so they can be used for proofing. I have sent a few test files to my private E-mail and guess what... Outlook will not download the JAR files because they are a possible security risk (selfextracting programfile). Of course there are ways to solve that, but we cannot ask that from our customers.

What do you guys think about this, should JAR files be used for proofing via E-mail? Or is the old PDF file the way to go?

jar is a general-purpose archiving and compression tool, based on ZIP and the ZLIB compression format. jar was designed mainly to facilitate the packaging of java applets or applications into a single archive. When the components of an applet or application (.class files, images and sounds) are combined into a single archive, they may be downloaded by a java agent (like a browser) in a single HTTP transaction, rather than requiring a new connection for each piece. This dramatically improves download times. jar also compresses files and so further improves download time.

More importantly jar is not a Microsoft invention. I will not ask why you need to send jar files via a email, but I would suggest you consider developing an ftp alternative to exchange files and as your vendor what they suggest.

If the problem you are trying to sove is remote proofing - that is, sending you production ready PDF file to a customer for review - I would think that exporting sending PDF/X files might be a more compatible approach.

Hope this helps.

We've been sending the XMF jar files directly to our customers for a year and a half. They love the ability to see the spreads in booklets and brochures. Hasn't been a problem with them, although a few did have to update their Java. Version 3.0 is supposed to be able to show letter and gatefold brochures although I haven't tried it yet. Supposedly, there's still a bug in the workstations doing that but it's accessible from the server. Michael. XMF's jar proofs are 3D interactive proofs, you can turn pages, spin, etc.

To think about reverting to good ole PDF alone is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO. Trouble is, you don't know what dumbed-down IT restrictions are in place for them, and their 'own 'expertise', or lack thereof.
We have a ridiculous 6~7 MB attachment limit ourselves, so I usually send our XMF .jar files via SendSpace. It is a great free tool, and downloading their SendSpace Wizard, and having him in the Dock...easy peasy. It's not as though you are getting your customers to upload stuff so an FTP server your end is not really mandatory.
My biggest problems with XMF 3D proofing are:
-internal resistance at parent publisher's design/admin (roadblocking our sending them to outside clients).
-customers not being to open them, on occasion, because they don't have the latest JAVA Runtime...freely downloadable from SUN Microsystems...but you know how it is with some customers.
If you ever have cause to further compress them (I don't bother, as they're fairly tight files as is), make sure your customers expand the with Stuffit Expander. They're sometimes not viewable on Macs if they use another 'expander'.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back