Setting up high res PDF for print. Advice please

Submit a multiple page PDF for print. 4 colour artwork and spot color on one page, Separate page for spot varnish. I would include the white in the file with the spot color. Everything set to overprint or knockout as required.

For folding cartons I always prefer fully composite files in the native format unless provided by a third party prepress agency in which case I reject it until it meets my extremely specific requirements.

Tips:
  • If you're going to provide a PDF make it an Adobe Illustrator compatible one.
  • If you're designing a folding carton with InDesign. Stop what you are doing. Start over in Illustrator. But I don't know Illustrator and all the commercial printers like InDesign. This isn't commercial printing. LEARN.
  • Put your gloss on a layer of its own, your matte on an layer of its own, your artwork on as many layers as you want.
  • White gets a layer of its own and typically is setup on top like a coating in the files. I know it's weird but it works best this way.

Sample PDF is attached as a guide.

Attachments

• Sample.pdf
    7.8 MB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Build the page exactly how you want it and send it that way. Use layers to keep varnishes, die lines, etc separate from the base art. No need to send multiple pages.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back