Sherpa RIP Reinstalled - Black printing as a build

blanche01

We have a Sherpa 43 with the "Apogee PDF RIP for Sherpa". The RIP was running on an old Windows NT box that, after being repaired several times of the years, finally died.

I managed to find my old install disks and we re-installed the RIP software on a new computer and set up the print queues and have everything working.

Of course, we do not have a copy of our custom curves that we had built by Agfa. I have the Quality Management System disk, so I guess I will have the go through that whole process. I also have the Agfa Colortune Pro v. 4.0 disk (but no dongle).

In the meantime, the initials proof I printed out, compared to a copy of the same file before the RIP died, actually looks better and so we want to go with it. One problem: The black type is printing out as a CMYK build instead of printing just black. I vaguely remember a setting somewhere to fix that, but I can't find it anywhere in the Agfaset for Tuner software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as Agfa does no longer supports the product and our local support guy is too busy to be bothered. He says the soonest he can get here is 3 days from now, and we have already been down for 4 days.

Thank you.

Blanche Brantley
Prepress Manager
MLI Integrated Graphic Solutions

Last edited:
Just in case anyone runs into this problem in the future, I thought I would post that the resolution came from calling Agfa and finding out that I had to edit some Registry information to make it work. It was nothing that was anywhere in the documentation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back