Signa station ?

Lammy

Can Signa station be purchased separate from everything else?

Anyone using Signa with RAMpage?

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4 • Dynastrip 4.2
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

Re: Signa station ?

I'm currently in negotiation with heidelberg to purchase two seats of SignaStation 3.0. The intent is to make them part of our PrePage-it system, Harlequin
Wish us Luck

If you are spending the cash - upgrade from Rampage.
I am as much a Rampage guy as you, are, Lammy -
but they are not keeping up with the new software.
You used Heidi Meta when it was marginal. The new version kicks ass.
PDF is the file format of today. Even the latest version of Rampage chokes on PDF.
Everything with Rampage is a "work around". It always has been.
But ... the system was/is sweet and elegant - so we forgive it.
Why wait 20 minutes for Rampage to trap a page when Meta processes the same file in 30 seconds?
The new Signa is client based (one of the biggest old drawbacks).
The email, PDF proofs are great.
Client based _manual_ trapping is very good (admittedly not up to Rampage trapping - but close) (automatic trapping is nearly perfect)

Having both Rampage and Heidi side by side - Rampage is gathering ust.

MSD

The not-so-new Prinect Signa Station is not client based. It can run from a license server or stand alone but the license server is just a central loacation of most of the Prinect workflow licenses to run on one dongle installed on a PC, usually the PrintReady server or MetaDimensions. You can have a floating license and run Signa on all your PCs and Macs based on how may seats you purchased. You can install it on all your computers as long as they meet the qualifications for OS and hardware (won't run on OS9 or NT). You can also have a single fixed license and install the dongle on that computer.

Prinect Signa will output ps level 2 or 3 to any device and also PDF and JDF.

That is correct - my mistake.
"CockPit" - the RIP preparation interface - is client based.
Much like RamPage, files are prepared (but not sent to the RIP) from each MAC workstation.
Trapping and file prep is client based through any number of "parameter" profiles.
Then the PDFs (rather than FPOs, as with RamPage) are registered and imposed in Signa.
- Years ago, imposing with FPOs and Preps worked great ...
now, with the compact file size of PDF - there is no loss in speed and generally a gain in workflow speed
by imposing PDFs in SIgna. And - for the most part - Signa imposition is quite slick.
Avoiding "workarounds" is a huge timesaver and calming factor.

MSD

We have signed the deal with Heidelberg for two Signstations and floating licences for color editor, PDF assistant and Trap editor. Also one seat of sheet optimizer. Installation on the 15th of november.
This will interface with our Harliquinn rip and prepage-it software.
We have tested and I'm quite sure we will get what we want and need and then some.

Thanks for the replies, but my take is NO it won't work with RAMpage Fpos and eps based workflow?

I work on both RAMpage (9.4) and the Heidelburg deal. I'll keep my rampage for the front end but would love signa for imposing. So far it's better than even dyna strip which I really do like.

EPP Manager • Brass City Printery
OSX 10.4.10 • RAMpage 9.4
EFI Colorproof XF • Avantra 30 • Epson 7600

Edited by: Lammy on Dec 15, 2007 1:38 AM

Two seats of Signa Station have been installed. Implemented with Prepage-it running on a Harliquinn rip.
Fantastic results. You do have to place pdf's, In our case we are using a dcs workflow, The fifth file is a pdf pointer, works like a charm.
After Drupa we will be looking at a complete PDF solution, but for now it's the cats pajamas!!

Hi AKALARAY,

Thanks for the update, glad Signa Station is working well for you. Perhaps when you get time, you can explain what features you enjoy the most.

Regards,

Mark Tonkovich
Heidelberg USA
Product Manager, CtP & Proofing

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back