silver chalking

Aqueous coat it or get a laser safe version of it. Laser safe version does not have as much shimmer but it does not chalk as bad.

Sorry for the tardy response. Start at about ten percent. If the density goes up (meaning that the transfer of the ink is improving faster than you are diluting it) keep adding......

I asked if you were on board stock because it has a particular effect on metallic inks, especially silver. The heavier the board, the worse this issue usually is. It is caused by the soft vehicle needed to carry the metallic particles diving into the board, leaving a thin layer of metal particle on the surface, which chalks.
I would reccomend semi metallic for this process. Your ink provider can blend the 877 at around 60% with something like 430 gray, and you should have no problems.
The other reply, regarding adding varnish, will also help, but a heavier varnish like transparent white would be better as o.p. varnish is soft and will also want to dive into the board.
good luck.

When concerned about chalking, adding gloss varnish to the ink often works wonders....

I agree. It helps seal the silver ink. You will also like the improved transfer in the roller train.
For years I have been generally using 3 ounces gloss varnish to each pound of 877. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back