Sleeking Queries

pippip

Hi,

Query 1 -
I know the basic sleeking is main print, soft lam, sleek area overprint then foil.

Has anyone tried sleek area overprint then foil then over print again on unfoiled/ or foiled areas?
I've seen a few "sales pitches" online claiming to print on the actual foil for better images.

I have a client who wants the foil but not the laminate. I was wondering has anybody tried laying foil first and then ran through their printer again?
Using a Xerox V80 myself but has anybody had any success.

Query 2 -
I see spot uv through sleeking advertised. Which in theory seems simple, same method as foil but printing in colour rather than black)
But one day when foil sleeking the black was coming out as CYMK as I hadn't hit grayscale on the machine and the foil actually stuck to the digital yellow dots used for security. Is this what happens when using spot uv but you just don't see it on the small dots or is this done with another method? It was really obvious, would have been a nice effect but wasn't consistent round the edges.

Cheers for any feedback on above or if you have other sleeking tips and advice.

Query 1 - Yep, you can do it. I run foil direct to a C2S Cover and then print CMYK over the foil often on both our 1000i and Versant 2100.
Query 2- I haven't had luck foiling over any CMYK prints for the exact same reason, the foil sticks to the security pattern. We have a clear foil which we use very seldom. Only when someone wants a black overprint on top of laminate and would like it shiner.

Cheers Wheate, Thats great that you've done it on similar machine.
I'll give that a go on ours now that I know it won't destroy the machine.

Don't need the spot uv yet but if it should be doable I'd like to know how, maybe others might have insight on that.

Only thing I would mention about overprinting onto foil is that the toner is pretty fragile. It has a tendency to scratch off if handled too hard. We've also had good results with Foil/CMYK Overprint/Laminate - it gives a really cool kind of brushed aluminium look to the foiled areas.

Just did my samples there, worked prefect, thank you.

Seems to only work on smooth stocks? I tried testing on a very very light textured card (I'd almost call it a rough uncoated rather than texture) and no joy, you can minor areas where it tried to stick. Have you had any joy on textures?

yeah we tried that right out of the gate and it was a no-go. Sleeking onto anything less than super smooth will have deletions. We only offer direct foil (no lamination) on coated stocks.

Printed on Xerox Versant 80 and foiled on Vivid Matrix
Query 1 - I regularly print an A5 32pp PUR Book where the header of every page if foiled (first foil then CMYK the rest). This works very well but if the foil and CMYK is close together, you may have some fit problems.
I also tested another job which didn't want lamination. I firstly used a flower shape with red foil and then overprinted the whole page with a CMYK image which was very light. Due to the tint values, it didn't show up on the red foil but I think it may slightly show up on silver foil.
Query 2 - I was also worried about yellow dots of Gloss UV showing up on my sheet but I gave it a go on a live job. I had an image of a building with a water reflection which had to be gloss UV.
Firstly I printed the water reflection in CMYK and Gloss UV clear foiled it. I then added the rest of the CMYK. When I held the sheet to the light, I saw very very fine dots where the yellow adhered but remember, I was looking for them!!! I then showed the sheet to 3 other people and not one of them noticed the dots because they were very fine.

My comment is just for others to reference (as you have a Xerox machine). The MGI Meteor prints on foil, that is was it was created for. The engine is a Konica Minolta and standard KM machines, at least anything newer than a C3070/80 or C6085/6100, can print on foil as well.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back