slow dry times - ink or fountain solution?

this isnt really much of an issue anymore now that we switched inks to the hostman inkredible rapida series. i'm still not happy with hostman in general but for the time being we are using it. still slow dry times on uncoated and seem to have to run the powder high most of the time. im still running the ir at 90ish, i guess i can turn it up to cook up the sheet a bit more, only i tend to have fit issues when i backup jobs after running temps that high.

albert,

im not sure how much iput you have within your company about the ink you have to use but i would suggest a change in ink. hoswtman does dry slow and tends to mark when backing up in my experiance. hostman is one of the worst customer service people out there imo. they really dont offer up much help when thiers a problem. we have decided to go to flint; it wasn't my first choice but im happy with it and they impressed our chief production officer more than any of the other ink manufacters we had in. personally i really like superior and toyo inks.

well, i have some say in the choice... im the one that has to use it :)
only somehow we got locked into using the hostman from our suplier for 3 years at a guarenteed price. so we have to wait until the BS contract is over.
i really want to try K+E and Toyo as i've heard alot of great things about both.
i've had some flint inks on press a few years ago while doing some trade work for another shop (they shipped us thier ink to use) it wasnt bad at all, i liked it.

couldnt tell you which series though.

which one are you currently using?

albert,

im not sure how much iput you have within your company about the ink you have to use but i would suggest a change in ink. hoswtman does dry slow and tends to mark when backing up in my experiance. hostman is one of the worst customer service people out there imo. they really dont offer up much help when thiers a problem. we have decided to go to flint; it wasn't my first choice but im happy with it and they impressed our chief production officer more than any of the other ink manufacters we had in. personally i really like superior and toyo inks.

only somehow we got locked into using the hostman from our suplier for 3 years at a guarenteed price. so we have to wait until the BS contract is over.
i really want to try K+E and Toyo as i've heard alot of great things about both.
i've had some flint inks on press a few years ago while doing some trade work for another shop (they shipped us thier ink to use) it wasnt bad at all, i liked it.

we are using the arrowstar line of flint inks it drys well. however when we run on offset stocks we use an ink we got from kohl and madden that is meant for printing on styrene stock; it is a godsend when you have heavy coverage on an offset sheet. it still takes a few hours with heavy coverage (250-300% or heavier) and ypu gotta be carful not to shut done the press for to long but i love this stuff for offset and other stocks with drying issues.

Albert, it's too bad you have to wait for the agreement to expire with H.S. Our product, Taniguchi, manufactured in Mississauga is a great alternative on all major presses. I would love to let you try a set.

a vote for BIOLOCITY

a vote for BIOLOCITY

Biolocity LT from superior is a great recommendation. I have tried 200 kg of each color (1000 kgs total). I had them shipped overseas from the US, which added to the cost of the already expensive ink. The ink dries extremely fast on paper, but not on the rollers... we print and turn quickly and the folding guy picks up finished signature straight from the press... we loved it... unfortunately shipping it overseas means you have to order a 20 foot container and pay in cash for it, so it wasn't feasible.

We have used the Toyo; it worked very well for us here... The color strength was great as while we were ordering from them. Also used Flint Novavit for a bit. Not bad, but inconsistent formulation led us away from them.

Adding on to your original topic, we have noticed here that it seems that some of our ink suppliers nowadays are making unannounced changes to ink formulations (probably trying to cut costs) and if it affects the dampening requirements it has seemed to us to have a definite immediate impact on ink drying. Just some feedback for you...

We have used the Toyo; it worked very well for us here... The color strength was great as while we were ordering from them. Also used Flint Novavit for a bit. Not bad, but inconsistent formulation led us away from them.

Adding on to your original topic, we have noticed here that it seems that some of our ink suppliers nowadays are making unannounced changes to ink formulations (probably trying to cut costs) and if it affects the dampening requirements it has seemed to us to have a definite immediate impact on ink drying. Just some feedback for you...

Have you try Kingswood inks from China we usually work with Flint and Hostman but this inks are very good,more pigmented then both of them with fast drying on paper so no need for much powder and very colorful.
Offset printing inks | Offset printing technology | Offset printing

My preference would be to go with the Diamond series from The Printing Ink Company (Rycoline)OR there Impressa
series higher solvents awesome for matte and satin stocks .. Diamond is Iso compliant and very low VOC . We run Diamond on four presses . Try it you will not be disappointed . Chemistry should be fine . IF you would like more info
let me know . [email protected]
RJ

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back