sm52 dampening problem

Dear Sirs

i have an sm 52-2 mod 99 and i have a new set of ink and dampening rollers including the water pan rollers.
i am facing a big problem with the water that i always have in increased amount of water on the two edges so i can not get a stable ink density on the edges of my print.
do you have any suggestion how i can fix this problem?
Regards

Did you have the problem prior to installing new rollers? Sounds like maybe your Pan metering roller might have a 'crown' in it which allows the ends to stay wet while squeezing water out in the center. Double check all of your settings. Check your Skew settings also. Maybe install one of your old pan rollers back in to see if problem goes away.

I think CPT has nailed this one, you have likely received pan rollers with more crown than you had before. The new pan rollers can be ground down to match your old ones, but this is a job for properly equipped experts.

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Dear Sirs

i have an sm 52-2 mod 99 and i have a new set of ink and dampening rollers including the water pan rollers.
i am facing a big problem with the water that i always have in increased amount of water on the two edges so i can not get a stable ink density on the edges of my print.
do you have any suggestion how i can fix this problem?
Regards

The SM52 pan rollers should have a 5 degree crown. This allows you to run with or without alcohol. You have to bring the ends up to meter out the heavy water film to a uniform film and then add a 1/4 turn clockwise on each end. There is no skew on this dampening system. Set the dampening form to 5 mm to the distributor and 4 mm to the plate. The only other problem that might arise is too much water on start-up. You then have to set the night latch position with a .10mm feeler strip. Cornish makes a good point when he says to put the old pan roller back in and see what happens. I don't who you roller supplier is, but if they sent you a roller with no crown then you will have a problem.

Thank you Sirs,
How can i know if the pan roller have a crown or not?
Plus when im setting the pressure of the water pan to the chrome i always have a thicker layer of water film on the edges 5 cm.
and while im printing and face a problem ( too much water on the edge ) i squeeze the nightlatch 5mm screw squeeze position further more to an extent that i get rid of this problem.
but after after 5 working hours on the press i reface this problem again and when i resqueeze the night latch 5mm skrew it the problem is temporary solved.

Im asking my self if the Support stand of the mettering roller is defective thats why it is loosening by it self.

Thank you

Thank you Sirs,
How can i know if the pan roller have a crown or not?
Plus when im setting the pressure of the water pan to the chrome i always have a thicker layer of water film on the edges 5 cm.
and while im printing and face a problem ( too much water on the edge ) i squeeze the nightlatch 5mm screw squeeze position further more to an extent that i get rid of this problem.
but after after 5 working hours on the press i reface this problem again and when i resqueeze the night latch 5mm skrew it the problem is temporary solved.

Im asking my self if the Support stand of the mettering roller is defective thats why it is loosening by it self.

Thank you

From what I read you do have a crown on your roller.When you initially set the pan roller if there is a crown, then the heavy water will not be in the middle. Tighten up the ends until the film of water is uniform. There might have to be an adjustment later on, usually not, unless the mechanism is not working. To check the night latch position, shut the press off and release the air at the feeder behind the door. Then check the gap across the roller. Always release the air at at shut down.You need to have a setting of .10mm.There is no need to back off the pan roller if the night latch position works. The night latch screw is in an awkward position and you nee a 5mm ball head Allen wrench to set it. If the mechanism is working and not worn then you should have an easy start-up when you start printing again in the morning.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back