SM52 Plate thickness

Chris_PTA

Looking for confirmation that running plates of 0.2mm thickness on the SM52 is a bad option. My thinking is: Machine specs say plates thickness of 0.15mm. Changing plate thickness will alter print length. Also means that blanket needs to be packed less to give correct printing pressure between plate and blanket.
If blanket is packed less, this will effect impression setting to paper thickness entered in control panel. On uncoated lightweight stocks my guess would be that you could not put enough pressure on to provide good print. I know that rollers can be set with thicker plate but I am not happy with the other issues it would cause. Reason for asking is that a company I deal with has been sold a plate maker for their goss newspaper press that has a plate thickness range of 0.2 - 0.3mm. Thoughts please. Regards Chris

@Chris_PTA customer may check with the platesetter manufacturer to see if there is an optional add-on to allow the thinner plate to be imaged.
For example, on a Trendsetter, there is an option for a range extender to image 0.14mm to 0.4mm plate thicknesses. Might be an easier solution than trying to run a thicker plate.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back