smelly UV coating

pgr

Hi all,

UV-coated one smells so terrible, how to alleviate this impact on the clients, and if we change to other coating method(i.g. waterbase), it cann't reach the gloss the clients need,
any suggestion will be much appreciated.

I send a few jobs a year out for screen UV coating and have not had this problem. Are you doing it in house? Is it on a press unit? Consult the coating material manufacturer.

Al

we're litho-printed, uv-coated after 4 process color printing, i mean, it smells so bad after coated, is something out there can be used instead and also reach the gloss

If its the coating then you will need to take the issue up with your coating supplier. There are literally hundreds of different manufacturers of UV coating that you can try. I have found that intruducing air into the pile can reduce the odour. Sometimes the lamps are set too high and the coating can get over cured, I have seen the stock give off an odour as well. Get your coating people in and show them(and let them smell) the problem.

This may be more information than you want, but the smelly UV coatings are the inexpensive UV coatings. The UV coatings have a photoinitiator and "synergist" (sounds impressive ehh?) The synergists are often nitrogen compounds or amines that can really be foul smelling. You can buy coatings that don't smell so bad.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Could always go for lamination instead? No odor , no cracking, no dermititis (oops), added value of strength, superior gloss, no ozone output (OOPs again), no greasey looking fingerprints, commands a premium.
Seriously tho, there are UV methods out there that do work -- only problem as stated before, they are a bit more expensive. Once you are in the elite expensive UV solutions you may as well go for the whole hog of lamination and retain a no compromise finish -- and charge it! Amazing how many customers prefer quality over price.

This may be more information than you want, but the smelly UV coatings are the inexpensive UV coatings. The UV coatings have a photoinitiator and "synergist" (sounds impressive ehh?) The synergists are often nitrogen compounds or amines that can really be foul smelling. You can buy coatings that don't smell so bad.

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

Do these Nitrogen compounds or Amines, resemble in aroma, the Ammonia our bodies convert to Urea and excrete as Urine?

Just Curious?
Otherthoughts

Heidelberg has a thing called "Drip off coating" had a demo last year.
You run it in a unit or units of the press, it is expensive though but they did some cool looking printing with this.
They will send a printed sample to you if you ask them it is a spot drip off not a shinny as UV
but close not sure about the stench of the drip off.
CSM20

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back